TV Licensing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do they still use those magic TV detector vans that can even tell what channel you are using?
Aye, and they're checking your WiFi now as well.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/06/bbc_detector_van_wi_fi_iplayer/

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I believe the latter. Reminds me of stories, possible apocryphal, of people preventing junk mail by attaching any such firmly to a house brick and marking it 'return to sender'.
once upon a time when this kind of thing was all the rage, I sellotaped a credit card companies' freepost envolope to a car tyre and took it round to the post office.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I would rather the inspector working and paying taxes rather than on the dole,, I cannot understand why letting somebody check you do have a tv is a problem. I am sure somebody will enlighten me.
It's the assumption of guilt and the way their frequent threatening letters are worded that's the problem... and the fact that my first notification (by post) was ignored and their letters continued. My second notification (online) was also ignored and the letters continued. My third contact with them (by phone) resulted in them saying they wouldn't send me any more letters for three years. They began again after six months. I now ignore their correspondence since they appear to be ignoring mine.

There's loads of things I'd potentially need a license for, such as selling booze, driving a car, owning a firearm, fishing, etc... yet I'm not constantly harangued for not having a license for those things.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to get about five a year, sent to my office. I ignored every single one for twenty years. Nothing happened. All they had to do was provide a pre-paid envelope, but they didn't, and I didn't feel like giving them a bung.

screenman

Legendary Member
If somebody might be avoiding tax should they be investigated? Note the words might be.

classic33

Leg End Member
If somebody might be avoiding tax should they be investigated? Note the words might be.
No problem with that. But why private companies doing the work, sending out letters with the name of a person known not to exist and operating in the same role in different countries. If you got a few like that as e-mails what would you be thinking?

SPAM

screenman

Legendary Member
No problem with that. But why private companies doing the work, sending out letters with the name of a person known not to exist and operating in the same role in different countries. If you got a few like that as e-mails what would you be thinking?

SPAM

Private companies seem to be able to do many jobs cheapest than public servants, off that

Must admit I have no experience of these things. Not once have I had a letter about a tv licence.

Top Bottom