Twa Wee Coonties

pickup1980

Active Member
Location
edinburgh
Going to try my first audax on the 6th june can anyone tell me what to expect and what should i take.
Done the pedal scotland 2009 will it be about the same with out the feed stations
Any help would be great:ohmy:
 
Your Bike?

Seriously for the money you pay for audaxes I can't imagine that they will be stocked with food/ drink. I think it would be best to bring your own. There's many a seasoned audaxer on here they will be better placed to give you advice.
 

eck

Über Member
HLaB said:
Your Bike?

Seriously for the money you pay for audaxes I can't imagine that they will be stocked with food/ drink. I think it would be best to bring your own. There's many a seasoned audaxer on here they will be better placed to give you advice.
Ha! John Myerscough, organiser of this audax (who did the Etape today in only a couple of minutes over 4 hrs), is famous for feeding riders well at the finish. As in, "what kind of cheese would you like with your soup?"
The day before (Sat 5 June) , I'm running two events from Kirriemuir - the tough 300k Snow Roads and the much easier Potter for Tea 100k. Riders on these will be fed inna more, shall we say artisan style, with beer and bridies. :ohmy:

(Signed), A Seasoned Audaxer.
 
eck said:
Ha! John Myerscough, organiser of this audax (who did the Etape today in only a couple of minutes over 4 hrs), is famous for feeding riders well at the finish. As in, "what kind of cheese would you like with your soup?"
The day before (Sat 5 June) , I'm running two events from Kirriemuir - the tough 300k Snow Roads and the much easier Potter for Tea 100k. Riders on these will be fed inna more, shall we say artisan style, with beer and bridies. ;)

(Signed), A Seasoned Audaxer.
:becool: they certainly seem better VfM than other events. I'm going to sleep on it but if my arm doesnt feel like its falling off in the morning I may enter the Snow Roads or it may be a trip to the docs :sad:.

PS that was a good time my John :becool::becool:
 

MrRidley

Guest
Location
glasgow
Spoke to the organiser tonight, and he's quite happy for me to be a bit late in getting to the start.
 

MrRidley

Guest
Location
glasgow
HLaB said:
One option could be a train to Edinburgh and cycle to the start, Inverkeithings only 11miles or so.
It's ok, i've just looked at Scotrail website, i can get train to Embra then Dalmeny in time for the start, Dalmeny is where it's starting right ?
 

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Moderator
Location
Edinburgh
bhoyjim said:
It's ok, i've just looked at Scotrail website, i can get train to Embra then Dalmeny in time for the start, Dalmeny is where it's starting right ?
... or you could jump off at Linlithgow and cruise gently along to Dalmeny, have a cuppa and set off with the pack :sad:.

pickup1980 said:
is it a tough route
<facetious mode> Depends on your definition of "tough" :smile:.

More seriously, most Audax events around these parts use the available hills to give a bit of a challenge BUT the organisers want to encourage people to ride their events, so the are not 'stupid' hilly. I did my first audax last year (160k Mearns Meander) and, yes it challenged me (first 100 mile ride) and had some serious hills (Cairn o' Mount from Banchory). I wasn't particularly fit, my bike was an ancient down-tube shifting Peugeot road bike, the saddle was a Lidl special and I almost ran out of water.

I finished, well within the time limit - and promptly did the 100k Potter for Tea the next day ;). Daft, or what ?

You can ride at your own pace, ride with someone else of similar pace, share the navigation, enjoy the views, be challenged by the hills (no one will stop you walking up them if you so desire :biggrin:) and revel in the downhill bits :biggrin:. One of the joys of audax is that you can do it your way, you don't have to go at a mad dash.

You will have a great sense of satisfaction if you have never ridden this sort of distance before. If you have .... piece of cake :biggrin: !

Very good info on audax here.

I'm doing a Kirriemuir event the day before, so might not make it to the Twa Wee Coonties but it looks very appealing .....

HTH
 
Similar threads
Top Bottom