Twa Wee Coonties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seamab said:
Have you been up it Hlab?

I reckon it must be one of the longest climbs of such sustained high gradient in Central Scotland. For me it compares with Glen Quaich. Not as long obviously but steeper.

Maybe one for a CC Ecosse hill climb challenge?
Went up it tonight I think or did I miss the steepest part? Just after the car park with the the cattle grid the path splits in two I followed the tarmacked surface down to the castle should I have took the rough path up to the right ? My garmin say it only maxed out at just over 26% I was expecting more. I see why you advised the dry my brakes were right on the limit at some point and I wouldn't fancy the ford if the path was wet.

Seamab

HLaB said:
Went up it tonight I think or did I miss the steepest part? Just after the car park with the the cattle grid the path splits in two I followed the tarmacked surface down to the castle should I have took the rough path up to the right ? My garmin say it only maxed out at just over 26% I was expecting more. I see why you advised the dry my brakes were right on the limit at some point and I wouldn't fancy the ford if the path was wet.

I just stop at the point where the rough path goes up to the right - this is MTB country and would eventually lead you to Glendevon.

Garmin's are strange things and my altimeter can read differently on the same hill depending on the weather/ amount of cloud or tree cover. It has always read over 30% on the steepest part between the cattle grid car park and the lower car park at halfway.

Sounds like it was a breeze for you with a nice paddle to cool you down:smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
pickup1980 how was today's training ride? Hope you are going to give that poor chain some oil before you do the big one... :wacko:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
HLaB said:
Went up it tonight I think or did I miss the steepest part? Just after the car park with the the cattle grid the path splits in two I followed the tarmacked surface down to the castle should I have took the rough path up to the right ? My garmin say it only maxed out at just over 26% I was expecting more.

You're joking right? I walked down it yesterday and found it hard enough!

It's the toughest climb I've seen in Scotland. I did the Keswick Sportive on Saturday and it's not dissimilar to the climbs over the passes in the lakes, good training ground I reckon. Can't wait to get out there and have a crack at it on the bike!

Seamab

eldudino said:

It's the toughest climb I've seen in Scotland. I did the Keswick Sportive on Saturday and it's not dissimilar to the climbs over the passes in the lakes, good training ground I reckon. Can't wait to get out there and have a crack at it on the bike!
HLab took the cable car:smile:

Get ye hence to Kenmore (Loch Tay) and try Glen Quaich - i'd imagine that might match some of the Lake District climbs. I've heard many say that the climbs in the Lakes are amongst the very toughest around.

eldudino said:

I'm sure there must be tougher; its pretty short and even graded. I find longer and more varing gradients harder. Although not as steep I found a hill round your way harder (near the uni) but that was after 40 miles and the surface wasn't the best for traction. What amazes me is the folk in the TdF, Vuelta etc that do 100 miles then a serious climb. There was one in the Vuelta the other year which averaged 19% for the last KM, after 100 miles that is steep.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Seamab said:
HLab took the cable car:smile:

Get ye hence to Kenmore (Loch Tay) and try Glen Quaich - i'd imagine that might match some of the Lake District climbs. I've heard many say that the climbs in the Lakes are amongst the very toughest around.

Sounds like a plan. I'll knock on your door for some company when I get the spirit up to do Gloom Hill. Though it can't be much worse than going up Honister!

I realised on Saturday that my climbing experience hadn't included proper steep hills, I thought Logie Kirk was bad but it's a custard cream compared to the passes in the Lakes.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
HLaB said:
I'm sure there must be tougher; its pretty short and even graded. I find longer and more varing gradients harder. Although not as steep I found a hill round your way harder (near the uni) but that was after 40 miles

That's Logie Kirk, I do that on the way to work as a training hill. It's short but steep for the first part, it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. I find it ok now, do the first part up the steep bit then you can click up a gear or when it "flattens" out.

eldudino said:
Sounds like a plan. I'll knock on your door for some company when I get the spirit up to do Gloom Hill. Though it can't be much worse than going up Honister!

I realised on Saturday that my climbing experience hadn't included proper steep hills, I thought Logie Kirk was bad but it's a custard cream compared to the passes in the Lakes.
One of these day's I'll have to get down to the lakes. In the mean time I might try Gloom hill again but with my Kinesis and its 38 chain ring, that will be hard work.

Seamab

HLaB said:
I'm sure there must be tougher; its pretty short and even graded. I find longer and more varing gradients harder. Although not as steep I found a hill round your way harder (near the uni) but that was after 40 miles and the surface wasn't the best for traction. What amazes me is the folk in the TdF, Vuelta etc that do 100 miles then a serious climb. There was one in the Vuelta the other year which averaged 19% for the last KM, after 100 miles that is steep.

Try the Radar ride with the ascent of Lowther Hill after 100m in the legs. It's a challenging ride.

I did the Deeside Loop yesterday and found the Cairn O' Mount very very hard at about 30m and the Cairnwell (long 5 mile drag up to the Glen Shee ski station) very hard as well at 80m and a bit of headwind. It's not steep by any manner of means but a real slog. Just didn't seem to have the climbing legs yesterday.

Universally, everyone yesterday was saying how hard the Cairn O' Mount seems to be. Someone said it was worse than the Bealach Na Ba.

GAVSTER

Is anyone doing the Twa Wee Coonties on Sunday?

Looking for someone as slow as me :-) That might be hard to find !

Top Bottom