Twa Wee Coonties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

scoosh said:
... or you could jump off at Linlithgow and cruise gently along to Dalmeny, have a cuppa and set off with the pack ;).

If i knew the way, i don't want to get lost before i get offically lost :biggrin:

bhoyjim;1257375][quote name= said:
;).

If i knew the way, i don't want to get lost before i get offically lost :biggrin:
You'd be unlikely to get lost, its quite a simple route.

Out of the station you just take the Edinburgh Road (B9080) the road we took on the forum ride, the one which goes singletrack beneath the rail bridge (traffic lights) and keep straigt on that road till you come to a roundabout at Kirkliston. Continue straight through the village to the and straight through the traffic lights (assuming there not at red :biggrin:). About 100m after the lights the road forks, you want to take the left road. Continue straight on that untill you go under a rail bridge. After about 100m you take the first left, it takes you up a steep hill which goes straight into Dalmeny, simples eh :rofl:[/B]

Seamab

scoosh said:
More seriously, most Audax events around these parts use the available hills to give a bit of a challenge BUT the organisers want to encourage people to ride their events, so the are not 'stupid' hilly.

I'm doing a Kirriemuir event the day before, so might not make it to the Twa Wee Coonties but it looks very appealing .....
Which one are you doing? Perhaps the Snow Roads might come into the "stupid hilly" category?

Law Hill in Dollar is quite a challenge after a good few miles in the legs. It's one of my local hills and does very briefly hit 20% at the steep turn but it soon levels off before rising again to 12% for a good stretch. I think there is a control near the top at the community woodland so you get a rest before the final section.

Gloom Hill is the road up to the Castle (Castle Gloom) and is not one you wish to go up unless you are the masochistic type and have low gears. It's 1K of hell with the steepest stretch over 30% and almost all of it above 17%. Now that is stupid silly! So silly i did it twice yesterday...Practice for Cairn O' Mount on Sunday.

Seamab said:
Law Hill in Dollar is quite a challenge after a good few miles in the legs. It's one of my local hills and does very briefly hit 20% at the steep turn but it soon levels off before rising again to 12% for a good stretch. I think there is a control near the top at the community woodland so you get a rest before the final section.

Gloom Hill is the road up to the Castle (Castle Gloom) and is not one you wish to go up unless you are the masochistic type and have low gears. It's 1K of hell with the steepest stretch over 30% and almost all of it above 17%. Now that is stupid silly! So silly i did it twice yesterday...Practice for Cairn O' Mount on Sunday.
Ah right, I was getting the two confused.

Seamab

Have you been up it Hlab?

I reckon it must be one of the longest climbs of such sustained high gradient in Central Scotland. For me it compares with Glen Quaich. Not as long obviously but steeper.

Maybe one for a CC Ecosse hill climb challenge?

Seamab said:
Have you been up it Hlab?

I reckon it must be one of the longest climbs of such sustained high gradient in Central Scotland. For me it compares with Glen Quaich. Not as long obviously but steeper.

Maybe one for a CC Ecosse hill climb challenge?
Nah just Lawhill. Can you get a bike up Gloom hill?

Edit: the wonders of google maps, I've not been up to Castle Campbell since I was a kid.

Seamab

HLaB said:
Nah just Lawhill. Can you get a bike up Gloom hill?
Yes.

There are 2 car parks. A big one at halfway where you can join the path through the glen and a small one at the top (over a cattle grid). It's a no through road so you have to come back down gripping the brakes. There's a bit of loose gravel so both ascent and descent need to be done carefully.

Seamab said:
Yes.

There are 2 car parks. A big one at halfway where you can join the path through the glen and a small one at the top (over a cattle grid). It's a no through road so you have to come back down gripping the brakes. There's a bit of loose gravel so both ascent and descent need to be done carefully.
Cheers, I just had a look on google streetview it looks well surfaced, the downhill looks tricky.

Seamab

HLaB said:
Cheers, I just had a look on google streetview it looks well sufaced, the downhill looks tricky.

Yes, it's not too bad. After the first car park the road narrows and the surface is poorer (this is the steepest bit) - a few very minor potholes. If you do go up, then pick a dry day, as it can be slippy in the wet. It's hard enough keeping two wheels on the ground when it's dry!

Seamab said:
Yes, it's not too bad. After the first car park the road narrows and the surface is poorer (this is the steepest bit) - a few very minor potholes. If you do go up, then pick a dry day, as it can be slippy in the wet. It's hard enough keeping two wheels on the ground when it's dry!
I was thinking about giving it a go tomorrow night or Sunday (as the roads are fairly dry just now) but having looked at the stats in Memory Map a 36/25 won't be low enough (especially given my current level of unfitness). According to MM it maxes at 33% and averages 14% for the km.

Seamab

HLaB said:
I was thinking about giving it a go tomorrow night or Sunday (as the roads are fairly dry just now) but having looked at the stats in Memory Map a 36/25 won't be low enough (especially given my current level of unfitness). According to MM it maxes at 33% and averages 14% for the km.

That sounds pretty accurate. Pretty much what the Garmin says.

I managed yesterday (just) on a 34/23 combo. TBH i could do with a 25 on the back. The second time was actually easier when I did again at the end of the ride. Obviously not warmed up enough first time.
First couple of times i tried it this year i failed on the very steep bit. First time because of fitness and second time because my cleat disengaged from the pedal and i couldn't recover.

My strategy is to get into the granny gear as soon as you pass the halfway carpark and keep it there!

Seamab

scoosh said:
Being a shortish audax, good weather forecast, etc etc I would guess 20 - 50.

My limited audax experience (2) suggests that there will be a good mix of abilities present and the atmosphere very friendly. I met the organiser John on the Pitlochry 150K when we rode along together for a while - he said that te Kinross CC often do a version of this run on a Sunday. I'm sure it will be a great event.

Top Bottom