Twenty20 World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

20 - 20 is not cricket. It's baseball. It's aimed at the hard of understanding who have short attention spans.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Debian said:
20 - 20 is not cricket. It's baseball. It's aimed at the hard of understanding who have short attention spans.

Rubbish, it has got a lot more people interested in the sport and a damn site more enjoyable than in the days of old watching Boycott ground out 45 runs over 2 days.

Debian

4F said:
Rubbish, it has got a lot more people interested in the sport and a damn site more enjoyable than in the days of old watching Boycott ground out 45 runs over 2 days.

Cricket is like chess and the fascination lies not in the actual runs scored or wickets taken but in how the game is played out tactically.

20 - 20 has no tactical content, it's just a case of hoik the ball as hard as possible and try to score some runs before you're out. It's baseball, not cricket. It's just more evidence of the dumbing down of civilization in general that the audience now cannot see the merit and skill in actually being capable of staying in and scoring 45 runs over two days.

I'm not saying it hasn't got bums on seats, it has. Go to any county ground playing a T20 competition and you'll no doubt find it replete with lager swilling football supporters looking for a little crash-bang fix to go with their lager.

It's advantage is that it does swell the coffers and allow counties to put on more real cricket than would otherwise be the case.

But the fact remains that it aint cricket, it's a game involving hitting a ball with Cricket Shaped Objects.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

I got back home from the Rugby semi final today devastated , Saints lost after Sarries scored with 3 minutes to go. England winning their first Cricket world cup has cheered me up no end! What a performance and a good all round tournament. Beating the Aussies in the final just made it that much better.

Debian, i can't disagree with you more. I play quite a lot of cricket (home village and uni) and i love the shortened form of the game. To say there are no tactics in Twenty20 is ridiculous and tells me you don't play the game.

montage

God Almighty
Ashtrayhead said:
Excellent result!!

(Nearly makes up for Pompey getting beat yesterday!)

This was a sad moment - but not unexpected!
The score should have been 7-1 :laugh:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Debian said:
Cricket is like chess and the fascination lies not in the actual runs scored or wickets taken but in how the game is played out tactically.

20 - 20 has no tactical content, it's just a case of hoik the ball as hard as possible and try to score some runs before you're out. It's baseball, not cricket. It's just more evidence of the dumbing down of civilization in general that the audience now cannot see the merit and skill in actually being capable of staying in and scoring 45 runs over two days.

I'm not saying it hasn't got bums on seats, it has. Go to any county ground playing a T20 competition and you'll no doubt find it replete with lager swilling football supporters looking for a little crash-bang fix to go with their lager.

It's advantage is that it does swell the coffers and allow counties to put on more real cricket than would otherwise be the case.

But the fact remains that it aint cricket, it's a game involving hitting a ball with Cricket Shaped Objects.

Have you ever watched a game of baseball ? I watched the Atlanta Braves V the Colorado Rockies last month and it was probably the most boring game I have ever seen. Only 3 hits in the whole game !

If this format gets people interested in the game in a whole then there is a chance that people may stick with it and the 5 day game.

And well done Eng SouthAfrica Land :laugh:

Debian

darkstar said:
I got back home from the Rugby semi final today devastated , Saints lost after Sarries scored with 3 minutes to go. England winning their first Cricket world cup has cheered me up no end! What a performance and a good all round tournament. Beating the Aussies in the final just made it that much better.

Debian, i can't disagree with you more. I play quite a lot of cricket (home village and uni) and i love the shortened form of the game. To say there are no tactics in Twenty20 is ridiculous and tells me you don't play the game.

What little you know :ohmy:

Top Bottom