Twenty20 World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

OK he's a cricket snob, thats now clear. Whenever i have played Twenty20 (not too often tbf) the tactics have been hugely important. Bowlers are tested every ball, there's no let off. If people can't accept the game is moving on a progressing then more fool them. Test cricket is still the big daddy, thats why test series, in particular the Ashes are so important, with tickets impossible to come by!

Sorry if this comes across badly, i'm in a terrible mood. No trip to Twikenham for me :ohmy:

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

mangaman said:
Well done the South Africa B team - sorry I meant England!
I agree with all the SKY sports pundits, including Nassa. They said they see no problem with it, it happens in every sport. We're winning and thats all that counts. Also, if it's the B Team, how did we win :ohmy:

Debian

darkstar said:
OK he's a cricket snob, thats now clear. Whenever i have played Twenty20 (not too often tbf) the tactics have been hugely important. Bowlers are tested every ball, there's no let off. If people can't accept the game is moving on a progressing then more fool them. Test cricket is still the big daddy, thats why test series, in particular the Ashes are so important, with tickets impossible to come by!

Sorry if this comes across badly, i'm in a terrible mood. No trip to Twikenham for me :thumbsup:

I'm a pragmatist, not a snob in any respect so I'd appreciate you laying off the unfounded accusations! :ohmy:

Bowlers being tested at every ball does not = tactics, pressure yes but not tactics.

Bowlers are put under extreme pressure which leads to burnout and injury.

Batsmen are only judged on how well they can slog, not on how skilful they are. This in turn leads to coaching, from school level up being aimed at grooming T20 batsmen, not skilled stroke players. This means in turn that we will not get new good multi-day batsmen coming through the ranks. This means that test cricket will suffer further.

Finally, a double edged sword - T20 popularises cricket and attracts big money. This in turn will end up globalising cricket to it's detriment in the same way that football has been globalised and ruined.

T20 stands a good chance of sounding the death knell for proper cricket - in this country at least.

Debian

darkstar said:
I agree with all the SKY sports pundits, including Nassa. They said they see no problem with it, it happens in every sport. We're winning and thats all that counts. Also, if it's the B Team, how did we win :ohmy:

So the ends justify the means in other words, whatever those means are?

Sorry but I have no desire to see an "England" team made up of South African sloggers.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

Sorry about the snob comment, as i say it's been a disappointing day for me sports wise and added to the fact ive been drinking since 11 it's bound to make me grumpy! :ohmy:

I would just say look at the strokes played in most of the T20 games, they are not all slogs, most are well timed and accurate. Our views are obviously very different and that wont change, I just ask you to give the game a chance, One day matches still hold more credibility than twenty over games! But the fact is they bring in the crowds and at county level, thats vital.

mangaman

darkstar said:

Agreeing with all the sky sports pundits is a bit worrying :thumbsup:

Are you not at all worried that Kieswetter(sp?), and Trott played for SA in their world cup under 19 squad, Pietersen played for SA under 19s until he he had a hissy fit about the quota system. Morgan played for Ireland until we realised he was OK and nicked him.

We could end up with 4 out of the top 5 batsmen having learnt their cricket abroad.

My nephew is 10 and has just broken into his county under-11s. The amount of time and money my sister and brother-in-law have to spend on kit/driving him around etc is unbelievable,

If he gets good, and is an England hopeful, how would he (or his family) feel if a South African appears off the plane with an English grandmother and takes his place?

Debian

User1314 said:
The IPL is great.

They even have high-kicking dancing asian babes.

And corruption, bribery and illegal gambling. And match-fixing.

And hot weather. And beer. And danger of terrorist attacks. And full houses. And cricketing superstars.

What more could anyone want?

I like that bit :biggrin: But the TV coverage never seem to show much of them :biggrin:
:laugh:

Debian

User1314 said:
The IPL is great.

They even have high-kicking dancing asian babes.

And corruption, bribery and illegal gambling. And match-fixing.

And hot weather. And beer. And danger of terrorist attacks. And full houses. And cricketing superstars.

What more could anyone want?

I like that bit :biggrin: But the TV coverage never seems to show much of them :biggrin:
:laugh:

Debian

darkstar said:
Debian i can't take your rants about cricket turning away from the traditional game it once was into the modern form of the game seriously, when you go on about the cheerleaders! I've no interest in watching cheerleaders prance about whilst watching sport, i prefer to talk to them in the bar afterwards!

Ever heard the phrase "tongue in cheek"? :thumbsup:

Debian

Off topic but not only is T20 ruining cricket, now we're going to have 20-12 snooker as well :thumbsup: :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8687301.stm

What is wrong with people's attention spans? And what's with the perceived notion that if a game / sport is not "non-stop breathtaking action" and played at "full throttle" then it's not exciting?

No doubt there'll be boxing style player introductions and cheerleaders.

Not that I particularly like snooker, I just don't get, or like this trend for "breathtaking action" all the time.

Top Bottom