Twenty20 World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimheaney57

While I was very glad to see the England team beat the Aussies, I couldn't help wonder what might have happened if the weather hadn't interupted the England V Ireland group game. For those who don't know, Ireland had restricted England to 120 and had a very good chance of winning until the rain came and caused the game to be abandoned. If Ireland had won, England would have been out of the competition and Ireland would have progressed to the next round.

Ireland got to that point without our top 2 players, Eoin Morgan, who was playing for England and Ed Joyce, another Irish player poached from us by England and then discarded, but is still not available to play for us :thumbsup:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jimheaney57 said:
While I was very glad to see the England team beat the Aussies, I couldn't help wonder what might have happened if the weather hadn't interupted the England V Ireland group game. For those who don't know, Ireland had restricted England to 120 and had a very good chance of winning until the rain came and caused the game to be abandoned. If Ireland had won, England would have been out of the competition and Ireland would have progressed to the next round.

Ireland got to that point without our top 2 players, Eoin Morgan, who was playing for England and Ed Joyce, another Irish player poached from us by England and then discarded, but is still not available to play for us :thumbsup:

Ed has just scored a ton in his comeback game against the Universities. We look after him at Sussex, Jim!;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Debian I too prefer the subtleties of the longer game but it has become apparent over the last 40 years since Sussex won the Gillette cup, that Test cricket only pays some of the bills in England, and county cricket doesn't even here. The rest of the world rely on short games and T20 is now massive worldwide and while regretting that is fine, it is here to stay, or globally the game would go bust.
I listened to an extended interview with the Kent chairmaan yesterday and he said their county finances hung in the balance and only a good earning T20 season would save them. If the weather is bad or Kent get knocked out early then their position is parlous.
T20 may well be the reason that test cricket survives worldwide - that and the drinking and spending power of the Barmy Army!

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

Debian said:
Ever heard the phrase "tongue in cheek"? :biggrin:
Your 2 posts on the cheerleaders were not a joke...
Anyway, this is quite tiresome now, you are not getting my point. As rich p has reinstated. T20 brings the money in for county clubs, without it what would you suggest? Same with snooker, these 'Boxing style introductions' amongst other changes have increased television revenue.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
jimheaney57 said:

Ireland got to that point without our top 2 players, Eoin Morgan, who was playing for England and Ed Joyce, another Irish player poached from us by England and then discarded, but is still not available to play for us :biggrin:

By the same respect if England had not been robbed by the rain / Duckworth-Lewis v West Indies game the Ireland game would not have mattered in the bigger picture.

jimheaney57

4F said:
By the same respect if England had not been robbed by the rain / Duckworth-Lewis v West Indies game the Ireland game would not have mattered in the bigger picture.

I understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that our lads probably would have dumped your lot out of the competition xx(

Just to put my views on other points raised here as well.

The current ICC regulations on player eligibility are a mess. I've no real problem with Joyce & Morgan making the step up to enhance their career and try to play Test cricket as they never will have the chance to do this for Ireland. But it is very wrong that Ireland, who were responsible for the development of Joyce, are not now allowed to use him, even though he is not now required by England.

There is no doubt that the emphasis in cricket has changed in that the main source of income globally is from the shorter version. I have to agree that while I see this as being a necessary evil, I think it will lead to a lowering of standard in Test cricket. Personally I enjoy watching 20/20, it's played the way I usually played my cricket. I always thought I could hit every ball for 6 :sad: But I also really love Test cricket and in my youth Geoffrey Boycott was my hero. I love watching a real battle between bat and ball, fast bowler against an opening bat or a spinner on a turning track being held at bay by a middle order batsman.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Its not just cricket this is happening to though. Lamb, Smith, Rusedski, Zola Bud, Wilson Kipketa who now runs for Denmark, Fiona May Now an Italian long jumper, 3 or 4 of the French winning football world cup team born in Africa, a lot of the republic of Ireland football team. This nationality thing is a bit of a joke

mangaman said:
If he gets good, and is an England hopeful, how would he (or his family) feel if a South African appears off the plane with an English grandmother and takes his place?

he's entitled to a place, is he? don't make me laugh.

if he's good enough he'll get a place on merit. if he's not good enough he won't.

just because he was born here doesn't mean he automatically has a place over a naturalised englishman such as pieterson or kieswetter.

you should be thankful that such great players are choosing to play for england. they'd never have won the twenty20 without either of them.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
4F said:
Its not just cricket this is happening to though. Lamb, Smith, Rusedski, Zola Bud, Wilson Kipketa who now runs for Denmark, Fiona May Now an Italian long jumper, 3 or 4 of the French winning football world cup team born in Africa, a lot of the republic of Ireland football team. This nationality thing is a bit of a joke

Blimey, 4F, most of those are from the Dark Ages!xx(

Debian

darkstar said:
Your 2 posts on the cheerleaders were not a joke...
Anyway, this is quite tiresome now, you are not getting my point. As rich p has reinstated. T20 brings the money in for county clubs, without it what would you suggest? Same with snooker, these 'Boxing style introductions' amongst other changes have increased television revenue.

A tongue in cheek post doesn't have to be humorous.

Anyway, without disputing what you say it's all a self-fulfilling prophecy. The increased revenues gained from the changes are only, or at least in large part only required because of vastly increased prize money, inflated appearance payments, increased venue charges, inflated agents and managers fees, etc, etc, etc. Exactly the same process as has happened in football and boxing with the result that hugely increased revenues are required just to keep the sport going financially and that has now taken football to the brink of the abyss.

The more revenue brought into the game the more the participants want, so still higher revenues are required, leading to the participants wanting more...... etc. This process may be inevitable due to all-round greed but that doesn't mean that I have to approve. If you're happy for these sports to be sacrificed on the high altar of greed and money then so be it. I don't happen to be happy about it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Debian, as I said earlier, I too prefer the long game but it is not a new problem. The rest of the world's test playing nations have been surving on ODI revenue for a long time. It may be a question of 20 over thrash being a step too far for the purists but tolerating the 50 over slog?

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

Money is what makes the world develop and work. It is impossible to stop the costs rising, it's the natural development. I for one agree with you that test cricket is the most enjoyable form of the game, i love to go watch a few days of a test, in the sun with a few beers and good friends. I also enjoy watching T20, it's a great format which attracts the crowds. You can go to a game after work and enjoy yourself. Are you a member at Lords? I've been in the members area and you'd fit right in! But let just agree on one thing, we love cricket. OK? :biggrin:

Debian

darkstar said:
Money is what makes the world develop and work. It is impossible to stop the costs rising, it's the natural development. I for one agree with you that test cricket is the most enjoyable form of the game, i love to go watch a few days of a test, in the sun with a few beers and good friends. I also enjoy watching T20, it's a great format which attracts the crowds. You can go to a game after work and enjoy yourself. Are you a member at Lords? I've been in the members area and you'd fit right in! But let just agree on one thing, we love cricket. OK? :angry:

No, I'm not a member of Lord's although a couple of my friends are.

Yes, costs inevitably rise due to inflation but not to the extent that they have in football and will in cricket. Most prem football clubs would be wound up if they were normal businesses and the counties could well go the same way.

Yes, I love cricket and I do work within it's ranks at a relatively lowly level.

Top Bottom