Twitchy rear end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

Hi my ebike has 20inch wheels, I've had a couple of tumbles , speaking to a friend he says small wheels are more twitchy I am more cautious after a few close shaves does anyone think my friend is correct appreciate your views.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No. Crap tyres, not being wary of the road surface ? Had a few twitchy moments yesterday riding in the rain, and the road surfaces not being fantastic.

What were the 'tumbles' ?

OP
OP
B

Biker man

No. Crap tyres, not being wary of the road surface ? Had a few twitchy moments yesterday riding in the rain, and the road surfaces not being fantastic.

What were the 'tumbles' ?
Coming off a busy road onto a cycle track there was about a inch or so of a kerb back end went threw me off hard .

Brandane

Legendary Member
Coming off a busy road onto a cycle track there was about a inch or so of a kerb back end went threw me off hard .
Did you try to go up the kerb at too shallow an angle? That can cause the back wheel to slide away with ANY size of wheel! Ideally you should be going up the kerb at right angles to the kerb.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Smaller wheels can make the steering a bit “quicker“ but the frame geometry will have more influence. Can you post a pic of your bike?
Did you go up or down the kerb? What angle did you approach it at? Road conditions? Unlikely to be the fault of the bike.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Smaller wheels can make the steering a bit “quicker“ but the frame geometry will have more influence. Can you post a pic of your bike?
Did you go up or down the kerb? What angle did you approach it at? Road conditions? Unlikely to be the fault of the bike.
Went across off the road at a angle wanted to get off busy fast road with cars so close.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How hard are your tyres? Running them rock hard can cause problems in some situations. It can be better to run them a bit on the soft side so they have some give, but it is a fine line between some give and squishy/too soft.

Is this leccy bike rear wheel drive?
Are you applying your rear brake .
Any time you cross a bump you have to beware the bump applying a sideways element which can flip the rear wheel.
A bump placed diagonal to your direction of travel will have a sideways element.
Also beware the surface on the other side of the bump. Dropping down from kerb to road, the road will have a camber or slope across for drainage.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ensure your tyre pressure are correct. Too low and the bike will feel squirmy when cornering. Too high and in wet conditions will feel like riding on ice especially if it's a cheap compound tyre.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Top Bottom