Two abreast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
A few of them Beeps are people just letting you know they are there, i only know this because i stopped a driver and ask why he beeped
This is probably true in some cases. I ride a lot at night on country roads and have noticed that many drivers switch their lights to full beam when approaching from behind, as if to silently alert me of their presence. As if I hadn't seen and heard them already...

jarlrmai

Veteran
They are sat in modern cars where you can barely hear the engine they must think they are silent on the outside as well.

mustang1

Guru
Here's an idea - look it up!

Highway Code
https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

You should
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

The introduction to the Highway Code states:
Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.
Although failure to comply with the other rules of The Highway Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.
So, it's not backed up by MUST or a reference to specific legislation, so is not law but advisory.

Thanks very much for this. I really didn't know about the must/not.

PS the following is not sarcasm at you.
So now I will compile a new highway code. Any rule which does not have "must/not" will be omitted. I only want to know what the law is. The rest is common sense.

boydj

Legendary Member
What about if it is a narrow road or country lane , should we not go cycle file to allow a car to pass? I think so.
If it's a single lane road with passing places, then the right thing to do is to pull into a passing place to allow the overtake. If it's a two-lane road, then the motorist can, when it's safe to do so, pass the cyclist(s) by moving into the opposite lane.

Top Bottom