Two bolt saddle post both bolts stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crows Eye

I have a new Trek FX 3 with a Bontrager post and saddle with a two bolt clamp. I wanted to replace the saddle this afternoon but both bolts (the ones beneath the seat) are stuck and won’t budge. There appears to be washers in the hole where the bolt heads sit and I’m wondering if that is stopping the bolts from turning. But if it is a metal washer, no idea how to remove it or why they would put it in there.
Unfortunately, the bike shop where I bought it is closed until Tuesday and long lines just to talk to someone.
I removed the seat post and sprayed some WD40 on the bolts and let it sit for an hour but it didn’t help.
Any ideas?

Gunk

Guru
They are an absolute nightmare to remove when they get seized, the bolts are steel and the bracket is aluminium so they react with each other, plus all the road salt and grime gets thrown up there. I know it’s too late but I always use copper slip on the bolts so this doesn’t happen.

Your overnight method with WD40 is a good starting point, try hammering a slightly larger torx bit into the Allen head and use a socket set with a longer breaker bar to give some leverage. Tighten slightly before untightening as that can just break the seal.

If all fails then you’ll have to cut the bottom part of the bracket off with a Dremel, which I have had to do, but I did save the actual seat post. Good luck!

sasquath

Change lbs , there should be label on the clamp saying 5 Nm max, I bet it was done up with T-bar Allen key until metal part twisted 90 degrees ~ 25 Nm.

sasquath

Lol, archeology is my third hobby :blush:

Top Bottom