Two Deaths: Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[Post edited]

You have to do something very very bad to get disqualified from driving.

The collision was dreadful and if guilt is proved I hope there will be a good measure of remorse and a severe penalty/sentence. One can only feel sympathy for those who loved the dead cyclists.

That being so, I have to say i know many people who have been disqualified for relatively minor offences. I do not know the history of the alleged driver in this incident, but I was disqualified as a youngster for riding a large motorcycle under-age, with no license or insurance.

I do not disagree with the tenor of the piece I quote, just the observation that one has to do something very, very bad to be disqualified.

Once again, condolences and sympathy to the breaved.

You think driving with no insurance is a minor offence? You're part of the problem.

Most drivers who are convicted of driving when disqualified don't go to prison. Instead they get a fine and an extended ban. Where is the deterrent? Why would he not just continue driving? The odds of being caught are low and the punishment is so derisory.

You have to do something very very bad to get disqualified from driving. Being caught speeding 3 times won't see you banned for even a day. Hell you can knock a cyclist off his bike, drag his body down the street on your bonnet and just get a £35 fine. So the fact that when people are disqualified they will face no serious consequences if they get caught driving again is really frightening.

Until the law is changed incidents like this are just going to happen again and again. But unfortunately the tide is turning the other way, I can foresee that in 20 years time no-one will ever get sent to prison for an offence committed on the road, no matter how heinous.

One in three killer drivers serve no jail time. The maximim sentence has never been passed. Thousands of drivers are on more than 12 points. Uninsured drivers cost the rest of us half a billion pounds a year, and we, honest insured drivers, will end up paying the compensation in this case via the MIB.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Most drivers who are convicted of driving when disqualified don't go to prison. Instead they get a fine and an extended ban. Where is the deterrent? Why would he not just continue driving? The odds of being caught are low and the punishment is so derisory.

You have to do something very very bad to get disqualified from driving. Being caught speeding 3 times won't see you banned for even a day. Hell you can knock a cyclist off his bike, drag his body down the street on your bonnet and just get a £35 fine. So the fact that when people are disqualified they will face no serious consequences if they get caught driving again is really frightening.

Until the law is changed incidents like this are just going to happen again and again. But unfortunately the tide is turning the other way, I can foresee that in 20 years time no-one will ever get sent to prison for an offence committed on the road, no matter how heinous.

Unfortunately true:sad: It's our car-centric culture to blame. It never ceases to astonish me that these scumbags don't seem to understand the meaning of 'disqualified'. I passed my driving test in 1981 and had my first speeding offence (3 points) in 1993. I was horrified at the time and embarassed about it but then I found out that just about the entire company I worked at had at least 6 points on their licences, didn't give a damn and treated it as 'normal' :ohmy: .

You think driving with no insurance is a minor offence? You're part of the problem.

I may well be part of the problem. I cannot say. I do consider a young teenager riding a motorcycle illegally and sans permis a relatively minor offence. Not insignificant or irrelevant, but relatively minor.

I am not looking to pick a fight over this in a thread whose content is built around a tragedy. I was merely pointing out that a ban does not necessarily derive from a 'very, very bad offence'.

I'm sure there are 15-year-olds who have no desire to ride motorcycles and who know all there is to know about insurance and the law and responsible behaviour. I was not in that group. I was a scalliwag. I still consider it a relatively minor offence, but one for which I (rightly) received a ban, a fine, two endorsements and a massive insurance premium for many years to come.

I'm happy that I give you lots of opportunity to point the finger of moral rage at me and happy for you that you have an unslakeable thirst for doing so, but there is not yet a law banning quiet disagreement on the Internet.

Enjoy your cycling. I was rather hoping you'd put me on ignore.

You think uninsured drivers is a minor problem. An uninsured driver has just killed two young cyclists and they cost the rest of us more than half a billion a year and rising.

"I am not in anyway detracting from their deaths, it is utterly tragic and nothing can change that now, so please don't get me wrong on this. I am simply pointing out that the arguement regarding putting your life at risk on 2 wheels (staying fit and healthy) is not valid in my opinion"

SNSS, I appreciate your opinions, and agree with most of them (not too sure about the driver of the car bit though), but when we are talking about members of a family concerned about their father/husband/son etc, it can be difficult for them to understand. Especially if like me, it is purely a hobby,and a way of keeping fit, and not having to do it, or possibly as a way of making a living.

It wont stop me from riding the roads of Manchester and surrounding areas, but saying that, I have to admit riding on our roads can be frought with danger, and the onus is on us as cyclists to have eyes in not only the back of our head, but the side of it to!

Happy cycling.:bicycle:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just heard it on the news. I'm afraid they'll get a more lenient sentence because of the plea.

As I refuse to watch any news (it all too depressing ) This Item has just caught my attention I have been to busy cycling But I hope that when this comes to court that the driver is given the maximum prision term and a fine and 15 year comunity service order when he comes out of prision. Am I being to harsh?

RiflemanSmith

Lets see what they get, four to five years max.
Only serve half might even get earlier on a tag.
The law needs to be changed it's a joke and I am not just saying that as a cyclist.

Top Bottom