two jackets or just one ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been looking at buying the gore tex active shell jacket after a lot of searching and reading reviews. I'm not sure weather to buy just the gore tex jacket or buy a cheaper windproof and a lightweight waterproof jacket for a similar price and use them together when needed.
What I'm asking is will the gore tex do everything I need for commuting and training at weekends or from all of your experience do I need two jackets.
Apologies for the confused thread.
Thanks
Rich

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You need more than half a dozen of everything :smile:
Buy an item at the time, probability is 50/50 that item satisfies you.
If it does, it won't be suitable for all weather conditions, so you need another.
Both those items won't always match your ride aims (utilitarian, touring, racing, whatever) so you need another.
All those items now won't always coordinate with the rest of your kit, so you need another.
Then you see your mate's new jacket (shorts, top, shoes), they say it's the ultimate in comfort, durability, waterproofness, value for money.
Then you buy another! :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
There is nothing out there that will keep you dry on the bike. You will get wet either by the weather or sweat. I dare say some garments offer a variance of this depending on how much money you spend.

I wear a windproof jacket or gilet and expect to get damp on the commute if raining, but at least I don`t get too cold.

02GF74

Über Member
i have a goretex jacket, quite an old one so the technology may have improved, but it is not pleasant o wear - there is little ventiation so as ^^^^ said, you will get wet on the inside.

I avoid going out in the rain but carry a cheap waterproof should I get caught - this works better for me than riding in the heavier goeretx jacket.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Like everyone says, regardless of what you wear, you will get wet.

At this time of the year I want to be warm for my 18km ride to work. I start off with this top from Decathalon, I have had it for about 5 years and it is still like new.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/black-mens-neofun-top-id_8243733.html

It seems to act a bit like a wet suit. It holds a lot of the sweat in but keeps you warm at the same time. It washes out and dries very quickly so I can get to work, rinse it and it is dry to go home in.

It's a really good bit of kit.

Steve

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A heavy duty waterproof jacket is needed for awful weather. That would be too hot and cumbersome for long rides in milder conditions when there might be a few heavy showers and a chilly wind on descents - buy a gilet and/or a compactable windproof, showerproof jacket for those conditions.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Start with the jacket you are going to need now, if you are cycling now. If you only ever go out when it's dry there isn't much point owning a decent waterproof. If you go out in all weathers (commute daily for example), then you are going to need different stuff in the summer than the winter, and probably the spring too).

Me ... I have my mine fairly lightweight one, that actually does most of the year, and then some other ones both heavier and lighter. Bought gradually over a number of years.

winjim

Smash the cistern
l use a Gore Fusion as a windproof as well as for proper downpours. Packs down into an old sock and fits in a jersey pocket. Mainly sees summer use as this time of year I'm in a softshell anyway.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
You need more than half a dozen of everything :smile:
Buy an item at the time, probability is 50/50 that item satisfies you.
If it does, it won't be suitable for all weather conditions, so you need another.
Both those items won't always match your ride aims (utilitarian, touring, racing, whatever) so you need another.
All those items now won't always coordinate with the rest of your kit, so you need another.
Then you see your mate's new jacket (shorts, top, shoes), they say it's the ultimate in comfort, durability, waterproofness, value for money.
Then you buy another! :laugh:
You have so hit that nail on the head Pat.
I am a glutton for kit buying punishment.

:thumbsup:

@Richard F - What did you end up going for?

I am in the same boat just now as i have a structured training program and family. So basically if i schedule a 4 hour morning ride then it is not changeable as i will have organised things so that this can happen and if it happens to be pissing rain outside then so be it - time to get wet!!

I am swaying towards one of 3 jackets. The Castelli pocket liner, Gore Oxygen active jacket and Sportful's Survival jacket.

All of these appear to do a cracking job of keeping you dry but also breathe better than most waterproofs. Both Gore and Sportful use Gore-Tex whilst the Castelli uses eVent fabric. The latter claims superior breathability but some people swear by Gore-Tex.

The other option, as you say, is a good windproof jacket with rain resistance and couple this with a half decent packable shell. This option would mean getting wet if the heavens really opened up but may tackle most british weather. I do already have a few windproof jerseys and jackets and have stayed warm most of the time with one exception - i was soaked to the bone and then it started snowing extremely heavy up a climb, i should have turned back but i continued and the descent was straight into a blizzard headwind with several inches of snow forming over a now icy road. Closest i've been to hypothermic! My rain jacket was soaked and the extreme windchill became unbearable, i couldn't feel my hands or feet and the closest town was about 5-6 miles away. We (i was riding with a friend) ended up having to knock on a door and ask for shelter whilst we phoned for a pick up. Never happened before and i know the clothing i had had contributed to the situation. Windproof is useless if it is soaking wet on the outside and you are soaking wet on the inside. As for the feet and hands, i had Sealskinz gloves on which ended up ringing wet and merino socks coupled with neoprene over shoes - both ringing wet.

What i am after is the ability to go out and keep warm and dry, at least the top half. Legs will always get wet.

OP
OP
Richard F

Richard F

Regular
Sorry for the late reply. I think I am sold on the gore oxygen and will be ordering on pay day next week. Outstanding reviews and aesthetics of the jacket done it for me. In saying that with the weather we've had I might be better off buying a wetsuit and snorkeling mask lol

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have an Altura Varium. It copes very well with all sorts of weather. But, if it's hammering down, and you are out for some time, you'll at least want a waterproof - a simple race cape is sufficient.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Sorry for the late reply. I think I am sold on the gore oxygen and will be ordering on pay day next week. Outstanding reviews and aesthetics of the jacket done it for me. In saying that with the weather we've had I might be better off buying a wetsuit and snorkeling mask lol
I have a Gore Oxygen and it is an excellent piece of kit, fits very well, but it is far too hot if the temperature is much above 3 or 4 degrees. At these sorts of temperatures you need something that is more breathable and as Fossy says take a wind/showerproof with you to wear over the top if the heavens open. This will sound a bit cheapskatey but a £10 to £20 packable will do the job just fine. You will never stay dry when it is hissing down and in my eyes therefore it is best to stay warm and a lightweight windproof/water-resitant with good kit underneath works well.

I have a Gore Oxygen and it is an excellent piece of kit, fits very well, but it is far too hot if the temperature is much above 3 or 4 degrees. At these sorts of temperatures you need something that is more breathable and as Fossy says take a wind/showerproof with you to wear over the top if the heavens open. This will sound a bit cheapskatey but a £10 to £20 packable will do the job just fine. You will never stay dry when it is hissing down and in my eyes therefore it is best to stay warm and a lightweight windproof/water-resitant with good kit underneath works well.
I think you need several options for certain weather. If it is going to be a 2-4 hour ride in non stop rain then i think one of the waterproofs i listed above will do a good job of keeping your top half dry. A rain cape or rain jacket isn't really meant to be worn for prolonged periods of time.

Personally i am looking for a solution to long hours in the saddle when it is raining non stop. I have all but decided on the Castelli pocket liner. Seems to meet my needs.

Richard if you do buy a jacket, Ribble have pretty good prices but also are doing a 10% off everything at the moment.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have an Altura Varium. It copes very well with all sorts of weather. But, if it's hammering down, and you are out for some time, you'll at least want a waterproof - a simple race cape is sufficient.
I used to ride with just the one jacket. Now I Varium.

Top Bottom