Two riders hit hard by an out of control car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Wrong. For a helmet to do its 'job' then it is supposed to compress and therefore slow the rate of decelleration. A crack dforms where the helmet fails and, just like a fault line in any other material, the force of the impact is localised to the crack. In the case of a cracked helmet it absobs less (if any) of the force of impact than a helmet performing to it's design.

Of course we haven't touched on how the helmet increases head mass, rotational momentum, or how it introduces snagging points.

More relevantly, why is this even posted? Somewhere in the world, something terrible happened?

http://goo.gl/maps/To1oE

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Dunno about that. My mate was in a collision last month, smashed his helmet and his collar bone but not his head. We were both happy with the results of the experiment :-)

Give over, if you want to discuss helmets go to the helmet sub forum

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The cracked helmet is cracked because it has done its job, though. It breaks because it absorbs the energy transferred from the impact (instead of the skull absorbing it). The only thing is that beyond that point, the skull then takes the remainder of the hit, which could be a lot or a little depending on the crash.
FYI: If a helmet has cracked it hasn't done is job properly. A helmet is not designed to protect your skill, it is designed to slow down the deceleration that your brain takes when your head hits the ground.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That collision is absolutely bonkers :S

Dunno about that. My mate was in a collision last month, smashed his helmet and his collar bone but not his head. We were both happy with the results of the experiment :-)

:rolleyes: Take your dross to the helmet debate section!

Reactions: 4F

Kookas

Über Member
FYI: If a helmet has cracked it hasn't done is job properly. A helmet is not designed to protect your skill, it is designed to slow down the deceleration that your brain takes when your head hits the ground.

Can't it do that before cracking? Hence why I said your skull takes the remainder of the impact. The helmet compresses, absorbing the impact, until it eventually fails and the head is subjected to the rest. A bit like if you bend a thin plank of wood. It'll snap at a point, but first it bends.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Cycling in Russia is like cycling down a motorway the wrong way at night and in the middle lane. I couldn't do it.

Top Bottom