Two utility bikes; one has to go..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As above, I have a bit of duplication and one is destined for the door.

In the yellow corner we have the Ofo:

small_img_9951a-jpg.jpg

Pros:
-Dynamo / solar lighting
- Sealed / lower maintenance drivetrain (geared hub); brakes less affected in wet weather
- Chain guard
- Convenient gripshift
- Relaxed riding position
- Not very thievable
- Interesting history
- Seemingly relatively new and in good nick

Cons:
- Limited three-speed gear range with wide spacing between gears; especially crappy when going uphill
- High drag / slow; especially in a head wind
- Mudguards currently don't fit on account of the tyres; requiring more money spending on at least one replacement to enable them to go back on
- Lack of crossbar makes it a pain to stabilise when stationary and straddled
- Rear wheel is a swine to remove

Owes me about £100 and a lot of time and effort..

In the red corner we have by Raleigh Router:

img_0683-jpg.jpg

Pros:
- Relatively quick
- Reasonable gearing range (2x5) and spacing
- Mudguards fitted and work (but need extending on the front)
- Panier rack
- Nice and retro
- Steel frame

Cons:
- Non-indexed downtube shifters are a bit of a pain
- A lot older and somewhat of an unknown quantity in terms of wear / reliability / future cost
- Could do with a bit more (relatively minor) work; rear wheel pretty beaten up but works OK.
- Probably a bit more rob-worthy

Owes me about £30 and a good deal of time and effort.

I've left some bits out where the bikes are vaguely comparable - brakes are pretty shocking on both and they're a similar weight at around 14kg.

What do we reckon? I've not really ridden the ofo since I got the Raleigh (which IMO says a lot) however the ofo does have some redeeming features. I'm thinking now's the time to sell before the weather changes and everyone realises how skint they are..

No contest IMHO, keep the Raleigh, .... as you say, what have you ridden since you got the Raleigh?

I've never felt much love for gas pipe Raleighs, although some folk would marry one given half a chance.

I'd keep the Ofo. Indeed, to make things simple for you I'll do you a deal - if you decide to keep the Raleigh, I'll come and take the Ofo away for free. Can't say fairer than that :okay:
Tell you what Wafter, in the spirit and camaraderie of Cyclechat, if Drago kindly takes the Ofo away to marry for free, I’ll do the same with the Raleigh 😉

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I ride a three speed elephant bike, there is a lot of heft with me on it and a few tins of soup and some dog food. It gets me about and it is difficult on hills but i only have to regularly deal with 1 hill near my house. But if you're having to deal with hill's regularly i'd keep the Raleigh.

cheys03

Veteran
Sell the Ofo. Putting aside the clear winner (Rayleigh), the Ofo will suit a range of different sized riders so appeals to a wider market and should be easier to sell as a result.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cheers guys :smile:

I've never felt much love for gas pipe Raleighs, although some folk would marry one given half a chance.

I'd keep the Ofo. Indeed, to make things simple for you I'll do you a deal - if you decide to keep the Raleigh, I'll come and take the Ofo away for free. Can't say fairer than that :okay:
Tell you what Wafter, in the spirit and camaraderie of Cyclechat, if Drago kindly takes the Ofo away to marry for free, I’ll do the same with the Raleigh 😉
Well, that's that settled then - anyone want my other two while we're at it? :rolleyes::laugh:

Another point of note is that as my life continues to spiral flaming towards the ground a utility ride may well morph from a few mile round trip within a city to a 10-15 mile ride between towns... which would utterly suck on the ofo.

Tbh I think I'm pretty much decided on flogging the ofo (I'd rather not sell anything but know it's not practical to keep both); it's just not 100% clear-cut so there's always that element of doubt.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Sell them both, then buy something similar in 6 months when prices have gone down.
Ta, but tbh I don't think the few quid I'd stand to make would in any way be justified by having no utility bike in the meantime or be worth the time I've already put in that would likely need to be duplicated with a replacement.

Keep the one that makes you smile the most when riding it.

I can't take either off your hands, they're both far too big. Unless you can shrink one in a boil wash. :laugh:
I think that depends on my mood tbh; the ofo is more comfortable but the Raleigh faster. At least I can take you name off the list of those queueing up to snaffle them from me :tongue:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Erm, can I be a dissenter and ask what the flipping hecking crivens you're doing getting rid of either?

I've got (I think) 4 bikes in my garage and two in my front room, I may even have one I've not remembered if I dig far enough back in the garage. I pull out my oldest one from time to time and I ride it to the pub, and i grin because it feels weird and fun, given that it's so alien and different to what I ride more often.

Are you short of storage/ parking space? If not, keep them both. In fact, buy another fixer one off Ebay and do it up. Owning lots of bikes is not only fun, it's the law.

Glad to be of service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom