Type 2 diabetes - what energy bars / gels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
My suggestionis to avoid energy bars/gels which have high % sugar by weight. Performance/recovery bars seem to be effective. High 5, SIS and Powerbar are availble on line. These need to be consumed from around two hours into the ride. I feel that the traditional coffee and cake (in moderation) is acceptable although there is one expert who says that coffee and carbohydrate react adversely - try green tea.

The consensus thinking today is LCHF and it has worked for me. My concern is consequential weight loss - not sought in my case with a BMI of 22.5.

Hi your problem has haunted me for years.
Sometimes I have ridden for miles on fumes.
I am the same; “I don't fancy a big breakfast before I set out”
This my be a symptom of the condition.
Also I find it very difficult to burn of fat on a ride.

At home I just eat fruit for breakfast, a combo of Mango, avocado, Banana or Pineapple, low on G I index. Then go for a 20 to 30 Mile bike run no problem.
I keep off all cereals, and all dairy in the morning why, well it's 6 pages long.

Now what to eat on the bike big point! If on a 500 mile trip (more of a Sportive Cycle camping)
I will stop off for the old British breakfast, after 15 Miles, it gives me a good long burn for pushing weight.
In my bag I carry emergency rations, the best I have found so far is a big bar of dark chocolate
with Hazelnuts from Aldi. It seems to be the combination of dark chocolate and the Hazelnut's, that works well for me.
This has run me all the way from Clitheroe, Dunsop bridge over the top of the moor to Lancaster!
“I don't fancy breakfast before I set out” at 7 am and there’s no Café till you get to the Lancaster monument, there a good coffee for the cold and wet.

For you who like a good ride try this.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=12fQe1lq_VLE8jgvjDlbuDIXgQDo&usp=sharing

Top Bottom