Type of pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Following on from my pedal removal thread, it got me thinking about how much difference more expensive would make.

I currently have these ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals) because when I first went down the clipless route, I wouldn`t have mind binning them if I didnt like the whole clipped in thing.

So, what`s the difference between my current pedals and something from the top of the range ie. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xtr-m9100-xc-race-clipless-pedal

If it`s just weight, I`d be better off losing a stone - is the power transference that much greater?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The difference is a few grams, save your money.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Couldn't get one of my XT SPD pedals out of the cranks of my old commuter so fitted a set of nearly new M520s I had in stock on the new commute bike (Too tight to splash out on new ones and will tackle the stubborn XT pedal later as I want to save the pedal and the cranks if possible). Absolutely no difference! I also have a set of M9000 XTR on my bestest best bike, again, indiscernible difference but it just felt right to put XTR on an Ultegra equiped carbon bike. They cost 4x the M520s!
You will not achieve any gains, performance or otherwise, by fitting the higher spec pedals. Nobody but yourself will notice or care. It is entirely your call.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Couldn't get one of my XT SPD pedals out of the cranks of my old commuter so fitted a set of nearly new M520s I had in stock on the new commute bike (Too tight to splash out on new ones and will tackle the stubborn XT pedal later as I want to save the pedal and the cranks if possible). Absolutely no difference! I also have a set of M9000 XTR on my bestest best bike, again, indiscernible difference but it just felt right to put XTR on an Ultegra equiped carbon bike. They cost 4x the M520s!
You will not achieve any gains, performance or otherwise, by fitting the higher spec pedals. Nobody but yourself will notice or care. It is entirely your call.

Exactly this. I've got a range of shimano SPD pedals across my bikes; A520's, A530's, 2 pairs of A600's, M530's and XTR M9020's. Once clipped in I wouldn't be able to tell you which one was which :laugh:

Don’t forget bearing quality, longevity, durability, and quality / composition of materials used. If you buy cheap, you risk buying more frequently ( especially with components like pedals) if you rode with the cheaper pedals, and the more expensive pedals, in poor conditions, the more expensive ones are likely to last longer, and survive any dropping / crashing with less terminal damage.

Drago

Legendary Member
I run 520s on all my bikes bar one (and that has 540s) and only the oldest, 15 year old set has needed any attention. A full strip (the correct Shimano tool is required, but is cheap), clean, regrease, and careful rebuild and they're like new again. I can't see how XTRs will be any more durable than the nigh on immortal 520s. 520s aren't cheap - they're superb value, and that's a world of difference.

You're buying a bit less mass, some XTR bragging rights, and nothing else.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The only pedal I would not recommend is Look Keo because the quality is so poor. Shimano SPD-SL is far superior.

024B9D90-1A84-4BCB-BD65-7908CFB7C9D0.jpeg

I use these on my MX comp Hybrid. They are very good.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My M520's have been used since I returned to cycling in 2012.
They were kept from my mountain bike I had a few years before that and they were from another MTB before that.
They're so old I can't remember where or when I bought them!
Never once been serviced and have survived numerous jet washes.
"Buy cheap buy twice" is a load of tosh.

I used 520s on all my bikes for a few years but got fed up with how quickly the spindles started to rust.

I’m sure they’d remain rust free on a fine weather bike, but I’ve sinced replaced them with some top of the range XTR 9020s.

Now, not only do I benefit from increased metatarsal support like @Dogtrousers, but can look down my nose at the plebs who overtake me with their rusty 520s.

Top Bottom