Type2 diabetes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
Just my luck!
Loads of recent health problems and surgeries for aneurysms, high cholesterol and blood pressure. As a result over the past few years I put on a lot of weight due to lack of excercise/over eating!
So 30th April I bought an E-bike to get me back in the saddle, excercise, and spend some of my retirement time outdoors! So as I bought the bike and started 15mile rides every other day. Just over a week ago I had a hospital appointment and was weighed.112.5 kg! Previously I had been under 90 so it was a shock. So that`s it I thought. Diet.
Then today I get the call from the GP to say my blood sugar was high and I have type 2 diabetes!
So I had lost 8lb since I got the bike but now I`m on a mission. I have to get out more often, for longer rides, diet and burn off the calories!
I`ve decided I want to get back down to at least 90kg, dodgy knees willing and get as fit as a 61 year old can asap!
I`m sure I`m not alone. Any advice or encouragement will be much appreciated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Similar here.:ohmy:

classic33

Leg End Member
I know next to nothing about diabetes, but on the exercise side, take it slow and steady.

Rush headlong into it and you might just put yourself off riding a bike. Seen as something you have to do, not something you enjoy doing. If you enjoy cycling, you'll find yourself going a bit further, because you want to. Not because you have to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a hospital appointment and was weighed.112.5 kg! ...
I`ve decided I want to get back down to at least 90kg, dodgy knees willing and get as fit as a 61 year old can asap!
I`m sure I`m not alone. Any advice or encouragement will be much appreciated.
Ok then...

In my late 50s my weight went up to about 115 kg and my knees were killing me.

Then I got very ill, lost loads of weight, eventually got better and got fit again. Now aged 65, I weigh just under 90 kg and my knees are fine!

You could probably make big improvements like that to your health and fitness in 3 months if you get stuck in, and pretty much sort yourself out in a year. Good luck with that!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Type 2 diabetes is diet-related isn't it? Has the GP given you advice on how to manage it via your diet? If it has just begun then you may be in a good position to reverse it or at least allow a lower level of medication.

And obviously healthy eating will help the cycling too.

It's good weather at the minute so enjoy being out on the bike. Look for places a little further away to head to & explore. You might've spotted cycle paths when out in the car. Do they go somewhere interesting? Hop on the bike to find out. Take healthy snacks with you so you're not tempted into cafes.

If you have panniers/bags you can also use the bike for short utility journeys - a trip to the local shops, library, etc. Make it easy to use the bike - no faffing about with special clothes for short trips. Every short trip improves your fitness for the longer rides.

Venod

Eh up
My dad and grandmother had Type 1 Diabetes, my brother had type 2 weight related, so it is something on my radar.

Regarding weight loss, having run and cycled all my life I was a bit blasé about my weight, I ate and drank what I wanted and hardly ever got weighed, so it came as a bit of a shock when I jumped on the scales last August and I was about 12st 10lb (81kg)

This morning I was 11st 0Ib 8oz (70kg) I am 69, 5ft 10in tall.

I cut out chocolate and biscuits and snacking between meals I still drink beer, but the biggest help was getting some smart scales, this uploads your weight to an app on your phone so you can see your progress on a graph, its an incentive to move in the right direction.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Type 2 can be 'reversed' to some extent if you make changes to your diet and weight - that what causes it. If that works then great, but sometimes you do become insulin resistant, so will be on tablets and potentially daily injections if things worsen.

Watch the carbs, exercise and lose the weight can help. Watch drinking as that's heavily loaded with carbs.

My son is a Type 1 on an insulin pump - a whole different kettle of fish as it's an auto-immune disease !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Give it a go. I believe loads of folk have been coming up close to T2 during the lockdowns - my nurse mentioned at my blood tests - lots of folk testing for T2 or pre-diabetic. Regular exercise and watch the carbs - so really cut down your carb intake - chuck in more veg, and don't eat late at night. I've managed to shed 6kg in the last 6 weeks by cutting carbs and cutting out the wine/beer during the week - weekends only.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...sley-author-Mimi-Spencer-author/9781780722375
This works well for me and I find it easy to do. Perhaps its strongest point is that for five days a week one does not have to bother about it at all. My doctor is supportive of it, too. I suggest you read the book and, if it makes sense to you, have a discussion with your doctor and then give it a try. All the best.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Weight loss mostly comes from diet. Weight gets put on gradually it is very rare that it goes on quickly. You just get heavier over the years. So weight loss should also be gradual , no more than 1kg a week.

Take a look at your diet and see what you can cut down. Eating pudding and desserts every day? Try just having them 6 days a week. Then try just having them 5 days a week.

Having cereal for breakfast and filling up the bowl. Try only filling the bowl to halfway. Filling it to halfway, fill it to 1/4 way etc.

Drinking fizzy drinks every day. Try one day a week without them. Try two days a week without them.

Eating chocolate bars every day. Try one days a week without them. Try two days a week etc.

In other words cut down the amount of each a little each week.

As for the exercise. If it is new to you, don’t go mad. No more than an hour each time, and don’t push too hard. Slightly out of breath but not gasping is good. Try and make it a habit, get out daily. Is a regular time if day possible? Mix up walking and cycling. If your knees hurt walking limit yourself to 30 mins initially.

Also just try and be more active throughout the day. Don’t go for a ride or walk then spend rest of day on sofa. Pop out for a 5 or 10 min walk about once every couple of hours. Don’t spend long periods sat.

Good luck in your quest for better health.

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
Thanks guys. I have an 8 week diet book from my son in law. He lost around 40lb and stuck with it.I`ve lost 10lb so far without even trying!
The cycling has also improved already.
There was a revelation tonight. I had some very thinly sliced roast pork with cauliflower and courgette. I usually light fry the courgette but tonight had it...wait for it.... boiled for 4 minutes! It was deliscious!
Also had a small sachet of BBQ Skinny sauce. OMG what a great taste and a great addition if anyone is worried about lack of flavour! They also have lots of different flavours ;)
This diet business is easy peasy ;)

JhnBssll

Veteran
Sounds like you're on the right track, well done :okay: I managed the accolade of double diabetes for a short time a few years back, having both secondary type 1 and type 2 simultaneously :laugh: I was I hospital for several months but fortunately as my health improved my pancreas picked up the slack and I came off the insulin pump 😊 I consider myself very fortunate, and try to keep myself trim, but lockdown has been tough on lots of us and I'm carrying about 15kg more than I ought at the moment - I best join you on that diet 😋

Top Bottom