Type2 diabetes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
So I`ve been pedalling lots, cut down more than lots, no sugars,carbs or fats to speak of.....just got under the 100kg mark, that`s 1lb under 2 stone!
I`m really, really pleased ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
I feel sorry for Mrs D with diabetes

I always grumble because a chap I know - a nice bloke, as it goes - is only 5'10" and 22 stone and has managed to eat his way to type 2 diabetes and now gets free prescriptions.

Conversely, Mrs D has multiole sclerosis, requires 14 different medications a day, a daily injection, and a second different injection once a week, did nothing to bring about her illness and has to pay for her precriptions.

The good news is, if one can describe it as such, is that Mrs D is also now Type 2 diabetic as a consequence of the ongoing treatment she has been having for MS, so now gets free prescriptions herself. :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I feel sorry for Mrs D with diabetes

I always grumble because a chap I know - a nice bloke, as it goes - is only 5'10" and 22 stone and has managed to eat his way to type 2 diabetes and now gets free prescriptions.

Conversely, Mrs D has multiole sclerosis, requires 14 different medications a day, a daily injection, and a second different injection once a week, did nothing to bring about her illness and has to pay for her precriptions.

The good news is, if one can describe it as such, is that Mrs D is also now Type 2 diabetic as a consequence of the ongoing treatment she has been having for MS, so now gets free prescriptions herself. :eek:
Sorry to hear about Mrs D.

Yes, the prescription charging policy makes no sense. I am on anticoagulants for life but had to pay charges until I was 60. I can't see the difference between one lifelong life-threatening illness and another in terms of charges! :wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, smoke dope til you turn schizophrenic, eat doughnuts until you get type 2, smoke fags until you get lung cancer and they reward you with free prescriptions.

Do nothing to contribute to dozens of other unpleasant, life limiting conditions and they make you pay.

I'd write to my MP to protest, but if you knew who it was you know why I don't bother.

And respect to the likes of @numbnuts and my own friend Nick, who got the diagnosis and then worked hard to correct things while they had the chance.

mustang1

Guru
I thought once you get diabetes then you cannot reverse it but you control it's effects.

What I don't understand is there was a level at which you was considered diabetic and at some point that level was changed. It's a bit like the pass mark on an exam paper which was 70% but then someone changed it to 80%.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its something to do with your pancreas. If you can improve your physical wellbeing to the degree that your pancreas, now working at a lesser efficiency, can manage then I think you're right - technically you remain diabetic, but for all intents and purposes youre fine.

In Mrs D's case its steroid therapy thst did it. She bets hammered with massive doses, 10 or 20 times what you might receive for other ailments, and her weight baloons. Once shes regainsed some equilibrium and the threrapy stops she loses the weight eventually, but sues been through thisncycle enougn times now that her pancreas aren't doing their thing properly any more. She has a special diet and a weekly injection for that, on top of all the other medicines and injections for the MS.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I thought once you get diabetes then you cannot reverse it but you control it's effects.

What I don't understand is there was a level at which you was considered diabetic and at some point that level was changed. It's a bit like the pass mark on an exam paper which was 70% but then someone changed it to 80%.

Type 2 can be reversed depending on how long and how bad the damage. There’s some good scientific research looking at it. There was something about the amount of fat in the pancreas being a cause of the problem. As you reduce the internal fat you can eventually reduce that in pancreas to the point its able to function optimally again.

sasquath

Not all fat is bad, cutting out saturated (not plant) fat will help both with weight and blood pressure(by reducing cholesterol).
Jumping to 0% fat diet can and will have nasty consequences, replacing crisps with nuts works wonders ;)
@carpiste good job, keep it up!!:okay:

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
When I was diagnosed type 2 the doctor sent me to the practice nurse to be advised re. diet etc. in the hope of reversing it. I had already pre-empted that and was on the way to losing weight. There was never any discussion about medication until I had been given the opportunity to fix the problem myself. It appears this is most normal as type 2 is commonly reversed by a change of lifestyle. Unfortunately this isn`t always the case, as in Mrs Drago. The body is such a remarkable thing. Easily broken but, as in type 2 diabetes, liver, and other common diseases is easily fixed with care, meds and lifestyle changes.

It's more that nowadays a level of change known as 'pre-diabetic' is recognised - tests and so on being much more sensitive and sophisticated than they used to be, and the causes of type 2 diabetes better understood - and if your condition is caught when it's at that point, and you take yourself in hand determinedly, the changes can usually (very often, but not always) be not merely halted but, with a modicum of luck, actually reversed.

Top Bottom