Typical 4X4's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Oh, and I am materially driven. To pretend otherwise would be hypocritical and make it look like I was content to own crap rather than quality. If I could fit several rifles and large dead animals in a 2CV I'd get one. :smile::evil:

Cubist said:
Oh, and I am materially driven. To pretend otherwise would be hypocritical and make it look like I was content to own crap rather than quality. If I could fit several rifles and large dead animals in a 2CV I'd get one. :biggrin::evil:

You'd be surprised what you can fit in a 2CV ... and at how good they are off road.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rhythm Thief said:
You'd be surprised what you can fit in a 2CV ... and at how good they are off road.
Yep, skinny little wheels and a centre of gravity that shifts sideways when the car leans into corners. Awesome.

But I don't have a beard or smell of lentils.:biggrin:

Cubist said:
Yep, skinny little wheels and a centre of gravity that shifts sideways when the car leans into corners. Awesome.

But I don't have a beard or smell of lentils.:sad:

You don't need all that, it's optional. An ability to appreciate clever but simple engineering is all that's required.:biggrin:

The centre of gravity, by the way , is somewhere down at the top of the wheels. They handle much better than youy'd think.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rhythm Thief said:
You don't need all that, it's optional. An ability to appreciate clever but simple engineering is all that's required.:sad:

The centre of gravity, by the way , is somewhere down at the top of the wheels. They handle much better than youy'd think.

Yes, that's why they are supposed to be impossible to roll:becool:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Cubist said:
Given that I apparently have sufficient income to own a landrover, and I use it to further an entertaining and healthy lifestyle, live on the top of a great big steep hill where it snows a lot and make my kids cycle to school, am I a typical 4x4 owner? On the days that I do take them in the car I park three streets away from the school to avoid congestion (which isn't caused by the vehicles, but by lazy stupid drivers by the way) Bear in mind that I haven't been on a plane in 15 years because we always drive to France, recycle as often as I can and don't give a flying f*ck what people think of my wealth or lack of it. Oh, and I could fit a kayak in the boot. Probably, (if it was a small one...)

Does that sum it up and close the arguments now?:sad:

Can only fit one in?
My brother can fit 2 in his boot, and 3/4 on the roof of his 106;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Joe24 said:
Can only fit one in?
My brother can fit 2 in his boot, and 3/4 on the roof of his 106;)
Yeah, Ok, but I'd have to take some of the bikes out to fit more than one in....
DSC_0003-2.jpg

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Cubist said:
Yeah, Ok, but I'd have to take some of the bikes out to fit more than one in....
DSC_0003-2.jpg

He has no back seats in his car.
And in my dads car, i can get my bike in the boot with just taking the boot off:laugh:
Whats with these 4x4s;)

tyred

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
You don't need all that, it's optional. An ability to appreciate clever but simple engineering is all that's required.:tongue:

I've always admired the engineering behind the 2CV. It's a shame they forgot to rustproof the thing. They almost make a Fiat Ritmo seem long lasting.

But a Renault 4L is built along similar lines and is a much better car.

asterix

Comrade Member
There are plenty of 2cvs running around this part of France. Not quite as many R4s but it's quite usual to see them around.

My father had a 2cv in the 50's in Cyprus. It was just the job on the rough roads in those parts and we used it to get to the UK in 1960. Ferry to South Italy, drive to Northern France over the alps and fly cross channel with Silver City airline. My first car was a knackered R4 with a 3-speed gearbox and 2 dodgy drive-shafts. Towards its demise only 3 cylinders fired. I used it to get down farm tracks to my boat.

Better than the 2cv? Hmm, not much in it, IMO.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Ferry to South Italy, drive to Northern France over the alps and fly cross channel with Silver City airline
We must have passed you going the other way down to Malta. If we had seen you we probably would have stopped for a chat as meeting another Brit car on the continent in those days was a bit of a rarity.

I loved putting the car in an aeroplane. We went from Southend to Calais and I think the Bristol Freighter took two cars (maybe three?) Will have to look at the photos.

Joe24 said:
He has no back seats in his car.
And in my dads car, i can get my bike in the boot with just taking the boot off:laugh:
Whats with these 4x4s;)

I'd say he has in that picture. He has only got one of the seats down, and he could get another cycle in there if he wanted.

I can get 3 mtbs stood up in the back of mine without removing any components by just sliding the rear seat into the forward position - Not folding them.

You might find an estate car with more space, but they don't do very well in inclement conditions. They don't put an expensive 4wd on to a vehicle as a gimmick even if some owners don't know how or need to use it.

That must win the award for the most unaware statement of the century. That's exactly why vehicles like the Qashqai were designed -someone in an office realised that they were building these 4x4s for no reason other than to feed the fashion needs of the ignorant, and that if they could fool the public into buying a car that looked like a 4x4 but wasn't then they'd save themselves money.

Linf, I'm disappointed in you.

I've never struggled in inclement weather, and I've never owned a 4x4.

I would never buy a Cumquat. I don't see the point. They do neither roll very well TBH, and they are the size of a Focus with a 1.5 engine, they are not by any measure a large car.

You live, work and play in the middle of Birmingham at the end of the day MrP, you have no need for one. I am not moving horses around at the moment, and that is why mine has been off the road for 6 months now. My requirement for one is all about need, not desire.

Incorrect, but irrelevant anyway. We're not talking about towing horses. You said that 4x4s aren't gimmicks. In a huge number of cases, they're exactly that, and a great many are built with an acceptance that they'll never venture off tarmac.

Did you not know this?

A friend of mine got married on Saturday. Whilst I was waiting with the driver for the bride to emerge from the house (I was on the camera), he started talking about the very nice 5 year old Audi A8 which was the main wedding car. He said he had owned it for 3 months, and amongst other things, stated that the rear seats had not ever been used by the previous owner.

There are loads of saloons out there being used by drivers who don't need the rear passenger space, and also there are many drivers using large estate cars who never utilise the load space to its capacity.

I think you are trying to make an argument out of nothing on this one.

Do you feel the same way about the Jimny given its diminutive size ?

Top Bottom