Tyre boot question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Last night, curse my luck, I ran over a strip of metal going over a bridge into Bethune. This morning I found a 1cm tear in the tyre tread.

I've put a tyre boot in for now; how many miles can I realistically rely on that for, do we reckon?

I'll buy a spare tyre when the bike shop opens, tomorrow as I don't fancy it going in the middle of nowhere when I'm coming home.

Slick

Guru
There will be lots that can stretch it out for ever running on a boot but personally, I would only use it to get home and not move the bike until the tyre has been replaced. Probably as I usually just want to get to my destination without any hassles or I just want to ride my bike without wasting time at the side of the road.

Last night, curse my luck, I ran over a strip of metal going over a bridge into Bethune. This morning I found a 1cm tear in the tyre tread.

I've put a tyre boot in for now; how many miles can I realistically rely on that for, do we reckon?

I'll buy a spare tyre when the bike shop opens, tomorrow as I don't fancy it going in the middle of nowhere when I'm coming home.
If the damaged tyre is the front one, switch it with the rear. A rear blowout is far less risky than a front one.
Although I would agree with @Slick that a tyre boot is for getting you home, not for going out on.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
If the damaged tyre is the front one, switch it with the rear. A rear blowout is far less risky than a front one.
Although I would agree with @Slick that a tyre boot is for getting you home, not for going out on.
Rear one, thankfully.

Here's a pic. IMG-20190922-WA0009.jpeg

I'm done for today, so I'll buy a new one tomorrow.

You could run it until the tyre is totally worn out. Personally, anytime I’ve
had a ‘bootable’ tear in a tyre, I’ve scrapped it, once I’ve got home.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If it's not bulging, it's fine. The only problem I have heard of is with some thicker boot patches scuffing the inner tube and eventually puncturing it.
I'd probably change it before a long ride.

Venod

Eh up
Flexible Superglue in the slit and a tubeless patch glued on the inside will sort it.

I was about to post something similar.

Venod

Eh up
That’s not a true cyanoacrylate. There are lots of adhesives that would work better than cyanoacrylate. But if you’re resorting to glueing, it’s time for a new tyre,

I agree a new tyre is the best option, but it would do a temporary repair and its not brittle or shard forming, it may not be superglue as you know it, but its superglue.

Top Bottom