Tyre failure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roscoe

Veteran
Hi, strange one on yesterday's ride, had to abandon after 10 miles.

Inner tube was poking out between the tyre and the rim, about the size of a 10p. Has the bead failed on the tyre and why? Schwalbe Durano.

Deflated and then pumped up again but same thing happened.

It could be bead failure and only a close inspection will tell you why. You sure the bead has not torn and the tyre bulges out between bead and tyre?
Is it a new tyre? t what pressure does the hernia start?

Lpoolck

Veteran
I had a similar problem with the same tyre. It developed a bulge as they was some fault in the tyre wall. Only had the tyre for around a year and around 1k

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
A friend :shy: Had this problem on an audax once, because he had put 25 mm tubes in 23 mm tyres.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Had the same thing with a rear 25mm Conti 4k, which had less than 500 miles on it. Was raging as they are not cheap. Managed to get home without incident, removed tyre & tube, but could not find anything wrong with the either. So, successfully reassembled.......and have shoved on at least another 3k miles without incident.

ayceejay

Guru
Hi, strange one on yesterday's ride, had to abandon after 10 miles.

Inner tube was poking out between the tyre and the rim, about the size of a 10p. Has the bead failed on the tyre and why? Schwalbe Durano.

Deflated and then pumped up again but same thing happened.
In the same place?
If at all possible and I know some tyres are very tight these days, try to get them on and off without levers. Get some talc to make it easier as I think this may be the problem.

OP
OP
Roscoe

Roscoe

Veteran
Looks like it's the wall of the tyre, just above the bead.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Roscoe

Roscoe

Veteran
Took it off, it's about a cm up from the bead. Brakes not rubbing. Looked frayed around the whole tyre just above the bead. Need to order a new tyre now, something puncture resistant, probably not Schwalbe.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
A friend :shy: Had this problem on an audax once, because he had put 25 mm tubes in 23 mm tyres.

I think the assumption that a slightly larger inner tube caused the problem is erroneous. The tyre should be able to withstand pressure up to the maximum psi

In the OP's case, incorrect fitting could be a cause as it is easy to fail to seat a tyre correctly. Deflate and concentrate on seating the tyre uniformly all the way round.

EDIT ....Having seen the picture - it is quite clearly wear or trauma. As far as protection is concerned many of the tyres that offer good protection still have a weak sidewall. (I have seen a Gatorskin wrecked within 10 miles!)
For commuting, or touring Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon Plus are as good as you can get (AFAIAC)

Last edited:

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
A mate of mine had a similar issue with his MTB tyres. They would never seat properly on the rims and over time they began to split around the bead. Never really worked out why....

Last edited:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Photo shown wear along the area next to the rim - could be brake block wear if the brakes are not set correctly, or damage caused by riding under inflated tyres.

Top Bottom