Tyre for Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
I have a mountain bike with tyres that are slick middles with tread edges, great for me.

However I'm new to this bike trainer thing, and as it says, it's starting to wear the tyre. to save it, as they are quite expensive, what tyres should I put on the rear wheel, something I can get out on the road with, not bothered about off-road yet. Still too cold icy and muddy! (well it was up Whinlatter pass yesterday!)
I assume as smooth as possible and cheap as possible? what about width. I assume wide will wear slower?

thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
I have a mountain bike with tyres that are slick middles with tread edges, great for me.

However I'm new to this bike trainer thing, and as it says, it's starting to wear the tyre. to save it, as they are quite expensive, what tyres should I put on the rear wheel, something I can get out on the road with, not bothered about off-road yet. Still too cold icy and muddy! (well it was up Whinlatter pass yesterday!)
I assume as smooth as possible and cheap as possible? what about width. I assume wide will wear slower?

thanks
Jeff

monkeypony

The best solution may be to get youreslf another back wheel (just a cheepie - try ebay) and put a specific turbo trainer tyre on it. Its better than the compromise of a tyre you have to use for both or 2 tyres that you have to swap all the time.

monkeypony

The best solution may be to get youreslf another back wheel (just a cheepie - try ebay) and put a specific turbo trainer tyre on it. Its better than the compromise of a tyre you have to use for both or 2 tyres that you have to swap all the time.

monkeypony

Dan B

Disengaged member
There certainly is such a thing in 700C (it's orange). Not sure how easy it's going to be finding a 26" version, though I confess I've never looked.

I echo the PP's suggestion to get a cheap second back wheel - I spent £30 or so on Decathlon's finest tat and added a cassette that I happened to have lying around. (Actually, I eventually ended up with a whole second^Wthird bike for the trainer, albeit one with no brakes, bar tape, or front tyre, but the logistics of this obviously depend on what's in your bits box)

Dan B

Disengaged member
There certainly is such a thing in 700C (it's orange). Not sure how easy it's going to be finding a 26" version, though I confess I've never looked.

I echo the PP's suggestion to get a cheap second back wheel - I spent £30 or so on Decathlon's finest tat and added a cassette that I happened to have lying around. (Actually, I eventually ended up with a whole second^Wthird bike for the trainer, albeit one with no brakes, bar tape, or front tyre, but the logistics of this obviously depend on what's in your bits box)

Dan B

Disengaged member

Top Bottom