Tyre Glider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used mine last week. Really happy

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Happy with mine too.
Not that I need it with the Durano Plus I run on my commuter/tourer.
But handy to have if they do give me trouble or I can't be bothered with my thumbs.
Very easy to seat the bead with it. No time at all.

simongt

Guru
Odd thing is that I find it much easier to remove / refit a Marathon Plus on our Brommys than on a regular 700c rim. :whistle:
That is using Pedro tyre levers.
I'm still unsure whether to invest in a Tyre Glider as I have 700 x 28 Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on Mavic rims on my Fox and they can be sods to get off / on. My Brommy & Galaxy both have Marathon Plus.

u_i

Über Member
I had the misfortune of watching that early YouTube video with a glowing review of Tyre Glider. To offset the hefty postage to the US, I ordered two. The Glider would not mount on my Brompton's thick rims. They later added the limit on rim thickness in small print on the website. (Now it is in bold.) In any case, on the rims that it mounted the Glider was less effective than my bare hands - just making a straightforward operation an awkward waste of time. Incidentally, I carry most actions mount a tire on a Brompton rim with bare hands only and can take ans put on a tire with bare hands too, if necessary - a lever may just make it faster. Fortunately the Glider was still a bit of novelty in the US, so people were interested in trying it out. I managed to resell both of my Gliders swallowing some loss.

Another misstep with a British made tire lever was Rotae. It serves now as a museum piece. The lesson seems to be as in the health area: stay away from miracle cures. The Dutch dremefa levers serve me very well for years, as an addition to fingers.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Yes, i'm sort of looking forward to my next puncture!

Well done. You’ve just jinxed that happening…..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve put Conti Urban on my Brompton recently. Then got a big shard glass puncture on first ride! The tyres are quite easy to take on and off, no special tyre glider efforts required.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
There is no way those tyres I’ve just put on would go on without a lever. If you can put them on without some sort of lever then I’d love to see a video of it.

I use metal ones as when marathons are new they are super, super tight. I decided to try it with plastic levers some years ago and snapped several.

Funnily enough, the one that came off (Marathon+) came off relatively easily.

They definitely stretch with use.

I have some Contis for the summer and I reckon I could get those on without a lever.

Top Bottom