Tyre Glider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u_i

Über Member
There is no way those tyres I’ve just put on would go on without a lever. If you can put them on without some sort of lever then I’d love to see a video of it.
Oh, yes? There was a BF discussion of the impossibility of fixing a studded tire on the road in winter. I suggested training at home and saying that you can even train with bare hands and I claimed to have no difficulty in fixing a tire in outside conditions in winter. In return, I heard that maybe, but I would not be able to that with a particular rim brand, that was challenging, and then again with a little used studded tire. It so happened that I had the particular rim and also had a never mounted studded tire, again of some brand that was mentioned. I went out and shot a video of the the new studded tire being mounted and dismounted on a pile of snow on that particular challenging rim, in fact overflowing with a rim tape at the time. I posted that video and heard a comment in return that yes but I did not do it with bare hands there, but employed a lever. I am not going to go again through an effort of shooting the video and having dismissed it with some quip.

tinywheels

Über Member
Oh, yes? There was a BF discussion of the impossibility of fixing a studded tire on the road in winter. I suggested training at home and saying that you can even train with bare hands and I claimed to have no difficulty in fixing a tire in outside conditions in winter. In return, I heard that maybe, but I would not be able to that with a particular rim brand, that was challenging, and then again with a little used studded tire. It so happened that I had the particular rim and also had a never mounted studded tire, again of some brand that was mentioned. I went out and shot a video of the the new studded tire being mounted and dismounted on a pile of snow on that particular challenging rim, in fact overflowing with a rim tape at the time. I posted that video and heard a comment in return that yes but I did not do it with bare hands there, but employed a lever. I am not going to go again through an effort of shooting the video and having dismissed it with some quip.

Yup,I've been riding since 1965, I still don't get it.
If I encountered a problem back in the day , a bit of washing up liquid smoothed the way.
Since I've been on 16inch wheels it's still a no brainer.I remember folks going on about small tyres. I never had an issue.

u_i

Über Member
If I encountered a problem back in the day , a bit of washing up liquid smoothed the way.
Since I've been on 16inch wheels it's still a no brainer.I remember folks going on about small tyres. I never had an issue.

I think that the smaller tires are indeed a bit more challenging because you get less leeway around the circumference when the rim is not seated. However, again, it is not an obstacle against practice. At home I normally put studded Winter Marathons on the Brompton rims without levers. For making the operations easy, the tubes should be fully deflated and Brompton's Schrader valves make one more likely to retain air than Presta. Wehen dealing with Schrader, I just unscrew the vent cores.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Well, if you can do it, you must have thumbs like David Försterman’s quads.

I don’t consider myself to be weak, but there’s no way I could do it.

I know.

I’ve tried.

After reading other people say they can do it, I thought I’d give it a go.

u_i

Über Member
It is actually not about strength, but progressing systematically so that little strength is required. I only use plastic levers, if any at all.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Well, if you can do it, you must have thumbs like David Försterman’s quads.

I don’t consider myself to be weak, but there’s no way I could do it.

I know.

I’ve tried.

After reading other people say they can do it, I thought I’d give it a go.

I've fitted Marathon Plus to my Brommie without levers a couple of times Kell. It was during lockdown, I was bored, and I had watched a YouTube video of a lady doing it. No way to remove an M+ without levers though.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Well, seems I spoke a little too soon about not nipping the tube.

Got a slow puncture, so I might have to remove and refit the rear...

Interestingly, the front was even tighter than the rear (the rear's in the video).

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
If it's this video people are referring to, there's a couple of things to note.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB-hGDNDY6Y&t=284s

1. she warms the tyres (I suspect this could be the differentiating factor - when I go skiing, I simply cannot get my ski boots on unless they're partly warmed. Even stood up with someone else pushing down on me, it feels like I'm going to break my ankle. Stick them next to a radiator and they pretty much slip on. It's liek a different pair of boots.
  2. I struggled to even get the first side on, let alone the second, it was so tight.
I'll give it a go in a bit, but I'll start with cold tyres as that's what you're most likely to experience in the 'wild'.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Ahem...

:blush:

So I checked the tube. No leaks that I could find - even held it underwater. Suspected it might be the valve, but no tell tale signs. Must be a very, very slow leak.

Anyway.

Absolutely no way the tyre was coming off without some help. Used the tyre glider again.

First off - it did go on without tools - so apologies to all those I doubted. But, what I would say is that even though it was only fitted yesterday and I've only ridden about 2 miles on it, it did feel slacker today. I've no way of proving that. But considering I almost used a tyre lever to get the first side on yesterday, and today had little trouble, I'd say that I know it's looser. Whether or not you believe that...

Second, it's hard work. I'd still say that asserting 'little strength is needed' would be an overclaim. I can definitely feel it in my thumbs as I type.

As for time - the video here is sped up 2.5 times. Took me a little over 5 minutes in total.

View: https://youtu.be/iZ-SKH1xH_Q

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I fitted a Marathon Plus to the rear wheel of my Brompton. Took at least half an hour and lots of swearing. There is no way I could have fitted that tyre with hands only and after cycling for 70 plus years I am not a novice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Indeed. As I alluded to in my earlier post, Mavic rims seen to be the main culprits for tricky removal / refitting of some tyres.

Oddly enough, the one combination of tyre/rim that I could almost effortlessly fit with my thumbs included a Mavic rim. I never needed a lever for fitting. I don't run that combo any more though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i find old school narrow rims for caliper brakes the worst , cant get it under the bead to lift the tyre over the rim and the reseating tool gap the fits on the rim is too narrow

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
What I will also say is that I rode with the new tyres this morning.

I've always used M+ and was reading one of the tyre threads (not treads) that came up recently and saw that regular Marathons offer almost as much protection, but people rate their rolling resistance more highly.

As I've never had an actual puncture in over 11,000 miles with the M+, I figured, maybe I could get away with something less robust.

I know one ride doesn't constitute proof, but I had the slowest ride i've ever recorded on that route. It was particularly heavy traffic, but I could feel the drag all the way. Felt like pedalling through treacle.

If anything they feel worse than the M+.

Top Bottom