Tyre Glider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u_i

Über Member
I fitted a Marathon Plus to the rear wheel of my Brompton. Took at least half an hour and lots of swearing. There is no way I could have fitted that tyre with hands only and after cycling for 70 plus years I am not a novice.

I don't have Marathon Plus for Brompton, but I have one for 20" and, in fact, I was putting it on on Sunday. It was a few minutes with hands alone and this nor for show but just as the simplest way to get from A to B.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What I will also say is that I rode with the new tyres this morning.

I've always used M+ and was reading one of the tyre threads (not treads) that came up recently and saw that regular Marathons offer almost as much protection, but people rate their rolling resistance more highly.

As I've never had an actual puncture in over 11,000 miles with the M+, I figured, maybe I could get away with something less robust.

I know one ride doesn't constitute proof, but I had the slowest ride i've ever recorded on that route. It was particularly heavy traffic, but I could feel the drag all the way. Felt like pedalling through treacle.

If anything they feel worse than the M+.
Marathons have changed over time, not always for the better, but usually. I think the HS number increases with each change, and usually the tread pattern. Were the ones you had the same number?

mjr

Absolutely no idea.
Something to watch for next time. I think the current Marathon is HS420 but some shops are still selling the older 397. Marathon Plus is currently 440, but there's 348 still knocking about and I think there was another version between. I wish Schwalbe were like Vittoria and included the version number consistently in the name. I also wish they used different names instead of suffixes so that Marathon is Marathon is Marathon, not plain/Greenguard/Plus/Tour/Evo/Winter/Supreme/Supreme Tubeless/Plus Tour/Plus MTB/Mondial/Racer.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I think the current Marathon is HS420 but some shops are still selling the older 397.
The HS 420 has been invented in 2011, 13 years ago. If a shop is still selling an older version it would be pretty dated.
Marathon Plus is currently 440, but there's 348 still knocking about and I think there was another version between.
The HS 440 has been invented in 2010, so same as above.

mjr

berlinonaut

Veteran
This is Airnimal tall size
Not really. Airnimal is either ETRO 504 or ETRO 520. The offer you found is ETRO 559 which ist the classical 26" MTB-size. A tire in that size and a width of 1" (25-559) or 1,35" (35-559) is probably not the most popular size and even less for a M+. This counts even more for the other size they offer: (37-590) - pretty esoteric size. So these are overstock that did not sell in years because nobody needs it in that size.
Buyers beware Schwalbe version numbers!
Spa are transparent even write regarding the offer:
HS348 is the previous tread pattern, superseded by HS440
Though they miss out to mention WHEN it was superseded. :rolleyes:

mjr

Not really. Airnimal is either ETRO 504 or ETRO 520. The offer you found is ETRO 559 which ist the classical 26" MTB-size. A tire in that size and a width of 1" (25-559) or 1,35" (35-559) is probably not the most popular size and even less for a M+. This counts even more for the other size they offer: (37-590) - pretty esoteric size. So these are overstock that did not sell in years because nobody needs it in that size.
Airnimal with ISO 559 https://airnimal.co/products/joey/endurance/ and uses narrower tyres than most MTB.

And 37-590 is old roadster size, aka 26x1⅜". Found on old bikes like one I have, but also some modern retro models from the likes of Bobbin.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Airnimal with ISO 559 https://airnimal.co/products/joey/endurance/ and uses narrower tyres than most MTB.
Ah! Didn't know that the Joey could take 26" wheels, too!

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom