tyre lever snapped any substitute I can use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As said upthread, you may be being too greedy with the amount of tyre you are wanting to lever. I have broken a tyre lever with M+ for this very reason.

purpan

Teaspoons work well, but the force needed does vary a lot depending on the tyre and rim combination.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I imagine that back in the day when every working man (except the doctor who would be posh enough to have a car) cycled to work they would all use spoons. Even if fancy tyre levers were available your average bloke wouldn't be spending money on that sort of thing. And they'd be patching the tube until there was more patch than rubber.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

ok the spoons worked and I managed to change 3/4 tyres. did the 4th one but i must have punctured it and couldn't fill with air. Got dark so will finish last one tomorrow. The last one the tyre and tube is on the wheel but i cant get either bead side to sit in the wheel just sits outside the rims. Took me two hours to do this ffs. All because I wanted to swap wheel sets and tyres over to optimise my fast bike.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Look at the spoon I found though. Worked a charm. Like it was made to be a tyre lever.

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_190603618.jpg
    IMG_20210724_190603618.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 14
Look at the spoon I found though. Worked a charm. Like it was made to be a tyre lever.

The butler ain't gonna be happy.

I use an old MZ motorcycle tyre lever, it was part of the tool kit, it has a C end which is useful for loosening the left hand BB lock ring .
I have found that it has been needed a few times as some tyres didn't want to go on .

To get some slack in the bead , pinch the deflated tyre and persuade the bead to sit in the centre well of the rim, which has a smaller diameter.
In really tight cases, fasten the tyre to the rim with the bead so positioned using ziptie or parachord or whatever.

Top Bottom