Tyre Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have had a chunky set of metal levers for years and they have done the job on my MTB perfectly.
I tried to get a set of wire beaded Mitchelins off with them and they are too chunky.
I was wondering what is the difference between MTB and road tyre levers. Surely they both work the same way. I am thinking of getting these
7205.jpg

Are the £20 ones really seven times better ?

I had wire beaded michelins (on my roadie) and they were a nightmare to remove, had to use metal levers. The plastic ones i had look like those ones in your post and wouldnt budge the tyre.

I changed the tyres because of the high number of punctures I was getting. My new ones are much easier to remove.

My mtb tyres have never been a problem, and I use one of these:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crank_Brothers_Speed_Lever/5360019204/

Tynan

Veteran
two plastic/nylon ones have done me pround for ages, mind you, one of them has got a little bit sleepy of late and won;t do the initial big pull

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
mr_cellophane said:
£3.99 in Halfords. Not bad for something with a RRP of £2.99 :ohmy:
- soon be on offer 25% off, reduced to £2.99? A couple of years ago I was looking for a Joe Blow track pump and Halfords were trying the same trick - £39.99 reduced to £29.99 - which was of course the RRP at the time. This is the sort of devious marketing that persuaded me not to even bother walking into the shop.
I just bought a VAR lever, and also recommend the plastic covered steel centred ones.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My favourite set were £1 for three from my lbs - their biggest challenge so far has been the Marathon Plus on my friend's bike, which they handled without problems...

jimboalee

Spoon handles.

Advantage is,,, you can eat yoghurt with the other end.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
jimboalee said:
Spoon handles.

Aaah, those were the days... I can still hear my mum going nuts at me for using the "good spoons" (which looked just the same as the other spoons to me... sorry, this isn't the cafe, is it? As you were) :angry:

Had a good result with the btwin green tyre levers from Decathlon when removing the original front tyre from my Virtuoso (which, when I changed the rear tyre with other levers which are now consigned to the dustbin I had a helluva job)

Top Bottom