1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre life

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by water, 10 Aug 2007.

1. water

water New Member

I know it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string" but approximately how many miles could I expect to get from Specialized All Conditions 25mm tyres?.
    Cheers.

2. longers

longers Veteran

Not a daft question to people who've used those tyres. I had a pair of the 28's and did 1600 miles precisely (to the dot) before I wanged them in a skip for starting to puncture too often.

3. water

water New Member

Mmm,was hoping for more than that for the money [I'm Scottish you see!!;)].
    Was that purely road use[tarmac]?
    Cheers.

4. longers

longers Veteran

I'ma yorkshireman so I wasn't happy either (and mine came free with the bike) but approx 500 of those miles were on the Transpennine Trail.

5. longers

longers Veteran

The TPT can be described as slightly rough probably.

6. alfablue

alfablue New Member

I used a pair over 5 years on road and gravel paths, probably did about 4000 miles, eventually the tread showed signs of starting to delaminate from the sidewall - I replaced them before it became an issue. I am very happy with that, I think age had as much to do with the failure as mileage as the tread was still okay. I just bought another set. I do keep them pumped up hard.

7. simoncc

simoncc New Member

Just replaced the Schwalbe Marathons on my tourer. They've done 7200 miles. I'm keeping the front one as a spare as it isn't worn out like the rear.

8. toontra

toontra Über Member

That's given me an idea! Swap the front & rear tyres every 1,000 miles or so.