Tyre Pressure Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
If you think modern bikes are rubbish, gimmick-laden plastic horrors dreamt up by evil marketing types, this is probably going to make you very angry.....:tongue:

https://www.quarq.com/product/quarq-tyrewiz/

The gullible tech-slave in me says "hell yeah!", but even I'll admit this is maybe a step too far.
Does it alert you that you have a puncture if you had not noticed?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you think modern bikes are rubbish, gimmick-laden plastic horrors dreamt up by evil marketing types, this is probably going to make you very angry.....:tongue:

https://www.quarq.com/product/quarq-tyrewiz/.

I had to think really long and hard about this one..... Am I going to spend about £140 to fit a silly gimmick sensor to a bike that only cost me £20 to begin with? No, I won't be buying them, but no doubt some of the more money than sense brigade will, unless their obsession with weight reduction overcomes their obsession with pointless gadgets.
The first sentence in the OP's post does pretty much sum up my opinion of about 99% of modern bikes though, and the 1% it doesn't apply to aren't designed like, and don't look like, modern bikes.

Tim Hall

I had to think really long and hard about this one..... Am I going to spend about £140 to fit a silly gimmick sensor to a bike that only cost me £20 to begin with? No, I won't be buying them, but no doubt some of the more money than sense brigade will, unless their obsession with weight reduction overcomes their obsession with pointless gadgets.
The first sentence in the OP's post does pretty much sum up my opinion of about 99% of modern bikes though, and the 1% it doesn't apply to aren't designed like, and don't look like, modern bikes.
I'll buy a dozen. Just to annoy you.

edit. They're more expensive than I though. USD199, but GBP229. I'd better increase the order.

On the other hand, they do use the term "pre order", so deserve to burn for all eternity.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
CR1632 batteries are 16mm across, so that battery housing is probably 20mm, so the whole thing is extending the valve maybe 40mm. I predict you might be spending $200 to get notification of more tubes failing at the valve/tube joint!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also: "$199 / €259 / £229" - that's even worse than the old $1=£1 exchange rate for computer kit when we couldn't buy from overseas so easily.

And finally, what are the odds of the battery flap ending up being in line with the spokes when it's tightened into the valve?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
CR1632 batteries are 16mm across, so that battery housing is probably 20mm, so the whole thing is extending the valve maybe 40mm. I predict you might be spending $200 to get notification of more tubes failing at the valve/tube joint!
I see my mistake now. I foolishly assumed the gubbins would fit inside the tyre like on a car, with just the valve tip poking out of the rim.

I think I can safely say they won't sell enough to make it viable, even in this age of cheap far eastern manufacturing options.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Can you define more money than sense for us, please?

I'm pleased that you're happy with your £20 bike and I'm sure it does all you want, but most of us would no more look at one than you would at our more expensive kit. There seems to be a touch of bitterness in your attitude which does get rather irritating.

Live and let live, eh?

bpsmith

Veteran
Can you define more money than sense for us, please?

I'm pleased that you're happy with your £20 bike and I'm sure it does all you want, but most of us would no more look at one than you would at our more expensive kit. There seems to be a touch of bitterness in your attitude which does get rather irritating.

Live and let live, eh?
Pretty much my thinking too.

Any news on that definition @SkipdiverJohn ?

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
£230 seems just a little steep to me. If it was more like 10 quid it might be handy for alerting you to slow punctures.

I have to wonder though how heavy it is and whether the imbalance to the wheel would be noticeable at speed.

Top Bottom