Tyre Pressure Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maenchi

StoneDog
so the thumb test is inaccurate ? how accurate do you need to be,? when riding; it's easy to feel if a tyres psi has dropped, and a quick re-inflating session is required.......:crazy:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
"For the first time, riders have access to highly accurate real-time tire pressure data to make decisions that can affect rolling resistance, traction, tire wear, and rider comfort."

Wow, through the companion smartphone app; I will be able to adjust tyre pressure in real time to optimise speed and comfort and through those marginal gains smash the local Strava segments out the park.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So ignoring the ludicrous cost, size and potential to get broken, what do you actually do if your smartphone tells you that you are 3 psi down? You are hardly likely to stop and inflate.

greenmark

Guru
Surely this is just for tracking tyre pressure vs speed vs power?

It's for those pros and semi-pros who want to learn how to optimise their tyre pressure for rides - so it's targeted for those looking for that extra 1W or 2W of power. Gains at the margin - as the saying goes.

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 5220268, member: 9609"]I have done the thumb test for quite some time and I can definately tell the diff between 90 and 75psi. I do the test before each ride and when I think they are low they will be around the 75 mark (I then blow them up to 90)

differant tyre feel differant though at the same pressure. I have Armadillo on the front, they always feel a ittle softer for the same pressure - again the thumb test tells me when they are low.

Some trucks now have in-cab display of all the tyre pressures, you can let them down and blow them up on the move. Some forestry roads demand you run at lower pressures (50psi) to save damage to the hard-core type roads. When you hit the highway you blow them back up to 100 before travelling at road speeds.[/QUOTE]
That’s my point! The device in question allows you monitor tyre pressures on the move. One of the arguments above was that the thumb test is enough. Hence my suggestion that somebody tries the thumb test whilst on the move. :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
so the thumb test is inaccurate ? how accurate do you need to be,? when riding; it's easy to feel if a tyres psi has dropped, and a quick re-inflating session is required.......:crazy:
Speak for yourself. Even after decades, I tend to wonder why it's being such hard work long before realising a tyre's under pressure. Maybe it's because I've usually a sprung saddle and cork grips on plush plush 37s so road buzz isn't much. So I try to check fortnightly.

Alan O

Über Member
Schwalbe reckon the thumb test is not reliable because all pressures feel the same above a certain level, and the puncture protection band can give a false reading.

"The widespread thumbtest method is very inaccurate, as all tyres will feel identically hard from a pressure of approx. 2 bar up. The thumb test is completely insufficient for Marathon Plus tyres due to the special puncture belt."

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/luftdruck.html
I've got 32c Schwalbe Marathons and 25c GP 4000 II right next to me here, and I've just checked one of each. The Marathon is at approx 70psi and the GP at a fraction under 100 - to the thumb, the Marathon feels slightly harder.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm trying to work out who the target market is.

I can understand it on a car as I know from being in the trade that a large percentage of drivers are a bit lazy when it comes to checking tyres, oil, coolant etc and rely on a warning light coming on (some don't even stop for the warning lights and it cost one client a fortune in siezed engines).

On a bike though, a puncture is fairly easy to notice so the average enthusiast isn't the market.
Those who run round on barely inflated tyres obviously don't care so they aren't the market.
Time triallers can't afford the time to stop and fix a puncture and would begrudge the extra weight anyway, so they aren't the market.
Pro-racers? If they have warning of a tyre deflating they could call up the team car and loose less time swapping.

It seems a bit too niche to me.

greenmark

Guru
I'm trying to work out who the target market is.

I can understand it on a car as I know from being in the trade that a large percentage of drivers are a bit lazy when it comes to checking tyres, oil, coolant etc and rely on a warning light coming on (some don't even stop for the warning lights and it cost one client a fortune in siezed engines).

On a bike though, a puncture is fairly easy to notice so the average enthusiast isn't the market.
Those who run round on barely inflated tyres obviously don't care so they aren't the market.
Time triallers can't afford the time to stop and fix a puncture and would begrudge the extra weight anyway, so they aren't the market.
Pro-racers? If they have warning of a tyre deflating they could call up the team car and loose less time swapping.

It seems a bit too niche to me.
I expect its intended use isn't for real time tracking but for the historical data record over a whole ride.

Once a rider has analysed enough historical data they can then set their optimal tyre pressures for their weight, power outputs, surface and expected air seepage over a ride for different weather conditions.

It is extremely niche.

Top Bottom