Tyre Pressure Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I saw an aerodynamic Wahoo mount for $70 the other day. So theres 2 more things I need for the bike

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5219965, member: 9609"]with a bit of practise you just need your thumb - cost £0

estimated 85psi
View attachment 405182
stuck the gauge on and it was 81[/QUOTE]

Schwalbe reckon the thumb test is not reliable because all pressures feel the same above a certain level, and the puncture protection band can give a false reading.

"The widespread thumbtest method is very inaccurate, as all tyres will feel identically hard from a pressure of approx. 2 bar up. The thumb test is completely insufficient for Marathon Plus tyres due to the special puncture belt."

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/luftdruck.html

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hehehheheee, there was a little mischief in my OP. Getting a little more serious, DC Rainmaker has done a review here. He's nailed the main issue, which is price. If they dropped to decent HRM strap prices I might take a punt for Ss & Gs.

Reading his first-look review and it sounds like other manufacturers are poking around the same idea, so some people think they can make money out of it.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Schwalbe reckon the thumb test is not reliable because all pressures feel the same above a certain level, and the puncture protection band can give a false reading.

"The widespread thumbtest method is very inaccurate, as all tyres will feel identically hard from a pressure of approx. 2 bar up. The thumb test is completely insufficient for Marathon Plus tyres due to the special puncture belt."

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/luftdruck.html

Schwalbe do sell pressure gauges though.

I've no opinion on how accurately it's possible to judge pressure by feel but it is often surprising how accurate humans can be with practice. I've become quite adept at weighing pasta by eye - I'm usually within 10 grams.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2

I've no opinion on how accurately it's possible to judge pressure by feel but it is often surprising how accurate humans can be with practice. I've become quite adept at weighing pasta by eye - I'm usually within 10 grams.
Why are you weighing pasta ? This thread started crazy but you've taken it to another level of crazy :ohmy:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I agree humans can be very clever at measuring things by eye/feel.

A mate of mine was a publican, when cashing up he could tell by feel if a £500 band of fivers was one note over or under.

On t'other hand, what Schwalbe says makes sense, if the tyre is is too hard to deflect, you are not going to be able to tell its pressure no matter how sensitive you are.

You and others will not believe that, but all that tells us is 'correct' pressure is not as important as we think it is.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Why are you weighing pasta ? This thread started crazy but you've taken it to another level of crazy :ohmy:

It's a hobby.

I agree humans can be very clever at measuring things by eye/feel.

A mate of mine was a publican, when cashing up he could tell by feel if a £500 band of fivers was one note over or under.

On t'other hand, what Schwalbe says makes sense, if the tyre is is too hard to deflect, you are not going to be able to tell its pressure no matter how sensitive you are.

You and others will not believe that, but all that tells us is 'correct' pressure is not as important as we think it is.

I wasn't saying that you are wrong, just that I wouldn't necessarily take Schwalbe's word for it. Personally I use a pressure gauge as it all feels the same to me. I'm a low-key follower of the cult church of Jan Heine so it doesn't surprise me that pressure is not all that important.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 5219965, member: 9609"]with a bit of practise you just need your thumb - cost £0

estimated 85psi
View attachment 405182
stuck the gauge on and it was 81[/QUOTE]
Good luck doing the thumb test whilst travelling at 20mph plus. Go on, give it a go, then post back your findings? ;)

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’m pre-ordering six, one for each of my Pegorettis. I won’t use them; the bikes just hang on the wall. But it’ll annoy all the I-wanna-look-like-a-vagrant-and-I’m-proud-of-it pissboring cyclists who drone on and on about the cost of everything.
When I’m not being tumescent while recumbent in my bike salon, I’m thrashing around the road on a massively expensive handmade bike, leaving it unlocked when I call in the butcher for my daily fillet steak, scratching and chipping the paint at will by riding in a cashmere aero suit picked out in heavy gold thread at the seams.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can I say it? I'm loving my new £3k carbon bike! I might even get out to ride it in the next few weeks, must remember to check the tyre pressures before I set off. If only there was another way......

Top Bottom