tyre quandary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
Hey Randochap,
Yes a Grandbois Hetre is what I would love to have on my tourer, but in 559. I have asked, but apparently Grandbois wants to stick to 650b. So at the moment I ride the ordinary Schwalbe Marathon for the rougher stuff, and Pasela TG's for the faster tarmac stuff (though they behave quite well on gravel roads as well). I guess I could replace them by Highroads next time, but I would much prefer to go all the way.
Willem

Randochap

Senior hunter
willem said:
Hey Randochap,
Yes a Grandbois Hetre is what I would love to have on my tourer, but in 559. I have asked, but apparently Grandbois wants to stick to 650b. So at the moment I ride the ordinary Schwalbe Marathon for the rougher stuff, and Pasela TG's for the faster tarmac stuff (though they behave quite well on gravel roads as well). I guess I could replace them by Highroads next time, but I would much prefer to go all the way.
Willem

The Marathon is a good tyre and I have recommended them to many people.

However, compared to a GB Hetre, they are slow and harsh. The Hetre really is a breakthrough (or return to sanity, if you will).

There are calls from every size-user for a Hetre and Grand Bois is pretty much married to 650b. A mold costs a lot to produce. I think the next thing might be a Hetre in 38mm, going on the chatter on lists.

There is a very good reason though to use 650b. Momentum is maintained and the larger wheel rolls over depressions better than 559. Hence the 650 X 42b seems to be the sweet spot. Final circumference on Synergy rims is 207 cm -- just 2 cm smaller than 700X23, but with all that cushion and small contact patch.

I have friends who just put Hetres on their custom-built 650b tandem. They rode it through PBP with the 38mm Col de la Vies, but were just stunned at the performance of the Hetres, on a 400km brevet recently.

The captain is building up a Kogswell P/R and can't wait to ride the Hetres on a single.

I've ridden them on some pretty bumpy stuff, as well as 200 and 300k brevets and a long day tour. Can't say enough about them. Oh, incidentally, they wear very well. I'm still on my first pair and only two flats to date.

willem

Über Member
I think that for my loaded tourer I have good reason to ride 559 tyres. There is a fantastic range of tyres for that size, all the way from Marathon XR or full blown mtb tyres on the one hand to narrow fast tyres on the other. My bike has a custom steel frame, with a drop bar, and it is designed for a load of camping gear and the like, and has clearance for 50 mm tyres with mudguards. When it is fully loaded I use the ordinary Marathon, but when it is only lightly loaded for a day ride the frame is perhaps a bit stiffer than I like, and the Marathon tyres feel a bit too harsh. So I got myself a pair of 26x1.75 Pasela's, and that makes the bike feel much nicer. My conclusion was that it would probably feel even nicer with even more flexible tyres. So that is when I started dreaming of a 45 mm or so Hetre in 559. I think there is a market, as there are many bikes such as mine that are also used unloaded. No need to persuade me of the virtues of wide tyres. I am also with you that sometimes a wide 650b tyre may be preferable to a narrow 622 (but what is your view on a 622-30 Grandbois?). The problem with 650B is that supply is spotty (certainly here), and the range is limited. For a serious loaded touring bike I really want to option to fit tyres like the Marathon XR. That means 559.
By the way, my framebuilder (m-gineering) is the Dutch importer of Grandbois tyres.
Willem

Randochap

Senior hunter
Yes, it's funny (strange) that we have more choice in 650b, here in NA. It really has caught on in a big way (though not as big as Japan!).

In winter, on loose surfaces, or for carrying extra weight I use the very good Panaracer Col de la vie.

As you might have noticed on VeloWeb, I also used a very nice hand-built steel (when Rocky Mountain were still doing that) modified MTB for expedition and even some brevet riding. The problem on the road was the harsh ride of the 559s.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Bleriot anywhere but the most remote tours, (remember, the Hetre is a folder) but you are right that it's easier to find rims and tyres for 26."

In winter, or for carrying extra weight I use the very good Panaracer Col de la vie.

i presume you are using the 622 designation for wider 700c (not the old, and now rare, Canadian standard). Then you'd be talking about the Grand Bois "Cypres" 650B x 30 or 32mm.

I haven't used them but plan to sometime soon. The Challenge handmade 27mm are supposed to be very nice.

willem

Über Member
Interesting that the Hetre's circumference is 207 cm. The circumference of an ETRTO 559 (to use the modern tyre designation for 26 inch mtb wheels) 50 mm (in reality 45 mm) Big Apple is exactly 2075 mm, i.e. as close to your ETRTO 584 Hetre as one can be in real life. So using a fat etrto 559 tyre takes the balloon bike argument even one step further: yet more air to cushion you.
I also have an older Rando bike that still uses UK style 27x1 1/4 inch (Etrto 630) tyres. The choice here is now very limited, but I have been quite happy with the Conti ultragatorskin in this size, as long as these will be made. I am considering a new rando bike, however, and I am hesitating between a frame for etrto 622 (indeed your 700) in 30-32 mm (i.e. with 57 mm drop brakes), such as the 30 mm GB Cypres, or a bike for the same wheel size but with even deeper (73 mm) drop Tektro brakes to take etrto 622 tyres up to about 38 mm, or a 650b bike. With the latter the new bike would get too close to my loaded touring bike, perhaps. Choices choices....
Willem

Randochap

Senior hunter
willem said:
Interesting that the Hetre's circumference is 207 cm. The circumference of an ETRTO 559 (to use the modern tyre designation for 26 inch mtb wheels) 50 mm (in reality 45 mm) Big Apple is exactly 2075 mm, i.e. as close to your ETRTO 584 Hetre as one can be in real life. So using a fat etrto 559 tyre takes the balloon bike argument even one step further: yet more air to cushion you.
I also have an older Rando bike that still uses UK style 27x1 1/4 inch (Etrto 630) tyres. The choice here is now very limited, but I have been quite happy with the Conti ultragatorskin in this size, as long as these will be made. I am considering a new rando bike, however, and I am hesitating between a frame for etrto 622 (indeed your 700) in 30-32 mm (i.e. with 57 mm drop brakes), such as the 30 mm GB Cypres, or a bike for the same wheel size but with even deeper (73 mm) drop Tektro brakes to take etrto 622 tyres up to about 38 mm, or a 650b bike. With the latter the new bike would get too close to my loaded touring bike, perhaps. Choices choices....
Willem

Yes, I'm thinking that if there were a 559X50 tyre available akin to the Hetre, that would be a fine touring combination.

You can see that I have gone for the long reach brake with my latest 700C bike. I've been running Conti Gatorskin 28s on this bike, but there is plenty more room and I'd like to run the 30mm Cerf tyres when I can rationalize buying yet another set of tyres. A report will be forthcoming.

So far, other sources indicate that they are not the most "flat-proof" tyres on the market but are incredibly fast -- which seems to be the way these things go. You can have very fast and somewhat flat prone or flat proof and slow, but not both in the same tyre.

I can't help you with your decision other than to say that 650b is a very nice ride. Some of the strongest riders in our club set top times on their 650b bikes. And the comfort is unsurpassed.

Top Bottom