tyre quandary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I have a raleigh royal 2008. good bike.

I am going around the scottish highlands in 4 weeks time for a 3 week tour.

I have Kenda Keen 700 x 37c tyres.

If I were to switch to Schwalbe Marathon plus or Schwalbe Marathon in either a 700x 32 or 700 x 28 what would be the benefits?

I would not want to sacrifice comfort.

The existing tyres have done 600 miles and no punctures and seem comfortable.

Would it be £50 worth spending for the return?

Any input would be helpful

dragon72

Guru
Personally I'd recommend 700x28s. I just got a pair of Continental Contacts (formerly known as "Top Touring") which I really rate as a touring tyre. At £18 each (£36 for the pair) from Chain Reaction, I think they'd be worth it. I'd hate to tour on fat tyres.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18817

OP
OP
S

stephenjubb

Über Member
I'm wondering if my existing tyres are unsuitable and whether the existing recommendations will give improvements.

Most likely it's case of trying them and seeing.

coopman

i have the marathon plus tyres in the 35 size, went down from a size 37 tyre. Seemed to be a much quicker ride and did not notice any loss in comfort. Its a heavy tyre though, however over 600 miles so far and no punctures, which is pretty good on some of the cycle tracks round my way (glass). They were tight to fit though, i am told its easier second time round. seem pretty grippy and good on the rough as well.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700c x 28 have served me well for the past three years.

Personally, I'd wear out your existing tyres first before getting replacements.

andym

Über Member
threefingerjoe said:
You like your tyres, and only have 600 miles on them? Heck, those are NEW! I'd stick with them, until you wear them out. I got 5000 miles out of my last tyres.

Good point.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Schwalbe Stelvio maybe - Spa have the 700x28 for £8 each

I use the Stelvio 700x25 on my old steel tourer - made a huge difference to the performance - but i'd go for the wider ones if was carrying any significant amount of kit

bumsteer

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are very heavy and are only marginally more puncture resistant than the straight Marathons. Schwalbe Stelvios are good if you want a reasonably priced slick. Recently I have been running Schwalbe Marathon Racers on my commute which are great. Size 30 should suit you well and give you excellent speed, grip and puncture resistance.

Edit: But... a terrific deal on the 35c non-folding here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24795

willem

Über Member
This is what I wrote elsewhere a few days ago in a different post on tyres:

The original question was about a good touring tyre for use in Western Europe. I also assume that most of this would be on tarmac, with the occasional gravel road etc thrown in. In essence, you want the fastest and most comfortable tyre you can get away with. At one extreme, I think a tyre like the Marathon XR is overkill, and at the other extreme narrow racing tyres mean you are asking for trouble and riding uncomfortably. So let us try to narrow the range a bit further. At the rugged end, I think the Marathon Plus is still nearly always overkill (unless you are riding in a thorny area). I really think that for a solo tyre (tandems are a different story) the ordinary Marathon or the Marathon Supreme are as rugged as you will need in Western Europe. In my family we have used the ordinary Marathon on all our commuting and many of our touring bikes, and they are very reliable (virtually no punctures over many years), and reasonably fast. In recent years we have also had very good experiences with Schwalbe Big Apples (loved the 50 mm, hated the squishy 60 mm). These are significantly faster than the Marathons, more comfortable, and thanks to their size quite grippy on soft terrain. Thus far, we have not had any punctures with them. At the even faster end I think the Schwalbe Marathon Racer and the Panaracer Pasela Tourguard are the lightest and fastest tyres. Of the two I have only used the 26x1.75 Pasela (the Racer is apparently a bit harsher). I know the Pasela is less puncture proof than the Marathon or the Big Apple, but the ride is glorious. So those would be my personal choices: the Panaracer for light loads and for those of you who do not mind the occasional puncture (but it is really not too bad) or fairly rapid wear, the ordinary Marathon (or probably the Supreme, but I have not used that tyre) for heavier loads, for tandems, and for rougher conditions. Those are the two tyres I alternate between, depending on conditions. If you don't want to alternate between tyres, and if they fit, the 50 mm Big Apples are the perfect all rounder, I think. They are fast, comfortable and reliable. Only you can decide what kind of riding you will do, how heavy you and year gear are, and how irritated you will be if you have a puncture. In any case, I would fit the widest tyre that will fit your frame (but not the 60 mm Big Apple - I hated the imprecise feel).
Willem

In your particular case I would think a good quality tyre is likely to improve your speed and ride. Whether you want to spend the money is up to you. These Kenda's do not represent a value of more than a few pounds. On the other hand, if you are already investing heavily in gear, this may not be the right moment to ditch them. In any case, I want to insist that narrower tyres do not necessarily make a touring bike any faster. What makes them faster is a more flexible casing, and that is expensive because much more difficult to manufacture. Also, the fun of touring is increasingly to ride on very minor roads where the surface may be bad, and mixed with gravel roads and the like. So my suggestion is instead to go as wide as you can. I am not sure what your frame will allow, but many bikes that come equipped with 37 mm tyres will also take 42 mm tyres. I have done that with one of our bikes, and the result was very satisfactory. The ride was much smoother, the handling a bit slower and more stable, and its off road capacity much improved. I bet 42 mm Marathons (but please not the plusses) will be quite a bit faster than 37 mm Kenda's. If you really want to ride faster, go for 37 mm Pasela's. However, these are not particulalry cheap, and they will not last nearly as long as a Marathon. If by any chance 50 mm tyres will also fit, by all means go for the Big Apples (45 real mm wide).
Willem

tapan

I am not an expert on tyres but when I bought my Thorn Raven Tour in November 2006 I had it fitted with Marathon Plus. I am still running the same tyres without a single p*nct*re and with 8000 + miles under my wheels.
I am setting off next Thursday morning from Rotterdam Europort and heading for Berlin on the same tyres which still have ( I reckon) at least another tour in them!
Mind you I am no speed freak but on tour under full load I have appreciated not having to unload and upend my bike in the middle of nowhere while it is tipppling! After all it is always raining when you get a p*nct*re! ( Actually it is considered to be a fact that you are more likely to get a p*nct*re in wet conditions)

I also appreciate being able to ride daily on local busy debris strewn roads without worry of tyre troubles.

The only trouble is that you lose the expertisw to deal with punctures. I seem to pick up just one on every tour on my trailer -- usually on a campsite when I have selected a spot near a hedge for my tent!

Like someone else on this thread I spent years on Continental contacts and had no problems, punctures or anything. But they wre very heavy. I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Racers for my last tour and the difference was amazing. They are light, fast rolling and tough. I even did some off road on them and they coped really well. I have the 700X35 and they come up a lot smaller than you think. I have a dawes ultra galaxy and have no problems with clearance...

I've never tried the pasela but I may give it a go next year. I'd really recommend the Marathon Racer though. IMO they're worth the extra dosh.

Randochap

Senior hunter
willem said:
This is what I wrote elsewhere a few days ago in a different post on tyres:

I want to insist that narrower tyres do not necessarily make a touring bike any faster. What makes them faster is a more flexible casing, and that is expensive because much more difficult to manufacture.

Also, the fun of touring is increasingly to ride on very minor roads where the surface may be bad, and mixed with gravel roads and the like. So my suggestion is instead to go as wide as you can. I am not sure what your frame will allow, but many bikes that come equipped with 37 mm tyres will also take 42 mm tyres. I have done that with one of our bikes, and the result was very satisfactory.
Willem

Thanks Willem!

And there it is; all you really need to know about tyres. I concur that 40ish mm are just about the best thing since pneumatic tyres were born. But, as Willem notes, not just any tyre.

The 42mm Grand Bois Hetre -- made in the same factory as Panaracer -- is paterned after the legendary hand-laid French tyres of the 1930s. They are extraordinarily fast and compliant and the comfort is second to none. It's worth going to 650b just to experience this tyre alone!

I run them on my Rivendell Bleriot.

Top Bottom