Tyre Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

On Saturday whilst out with the Mrs she got a puncture, I changed the inner tube at the side of the road but I noticed afterwards I had put the tyre on in the opposite way to the 'rotation arrow' on the wheel, does it matter?..I cant just put the wheel the other way, she has disc brakes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It matters not one jot. Just leave until you can be bothered to change or change when you have another puncture.

For cycling, direction of a tyre tread means nothing.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Its a Marathon Plus, she will only do up to 30 miles per ride on it, mainly trails and towpaths and only at an average of 9mph at most

I was under the impression that it didn't matter at all on any tyre that is primarily for road or light off road use but that it may be an issue with deep tread tyres for off-road use through mud.

Thankfully for me I pretty much never do the last type of riding so I can relax.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Style point: Some tyres have a direction arrow so that the logo, if it's only on one side of the tyre (Veloflex for example) appears correctly on the RIGHT side of the bike. It goes without saying that you will align the logo with the valve as required by The Rules.

There's no other reason why a tyre should rotate in one direction as the vestigial tread is only there to make you feel better about the tyre.

si_c

Guru
I've accidentally swapped the direction on the front tyre (in a hurry, not paying attention), figured I'd wait for it to wear out (tyre had already done about 5k mi), that was about 1000mi ago, will probably get around to doing it soon, it irritates me knowing it's the wrong way round.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Is the arrow supposed to point forwards when it's at the top of the wheel or when it's at the bottom of the wheel? So many cultural assumptions

Top Bottom