Tyre sealant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Miss Celine had borrowed my runabout (mark 2 Ford Ka) and suffered a puncture. It doesn't have a spare wheel, just a can of sealant and an inflator, which she successfully used. This meant a new tyre, as the sealant ruins the damaged one.

I see a replacement can of sealant costs almost as much as the replacement tyre did. Does it have to be Ford stuff or do others work as well? I see Halfords sell Holts tyre sealant which is a fraction of the price and claims not to ruin the tyre. Does anyone have any experience of this product or can recommend an alternative?

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If it was mine I'd buy a used space saver wheel and jack etc off a well known auction site. If there's room for it. Haven't a clue about tyre sealant though.

Ka 2 Space Saver

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
I've been meaning to get a skinny spare from the scrappie for the 5 years I've had it. This is the first puncture it has had. There would be nothing left of the boot if I put a full size spare in!
But ebay prices look quite reasonable, thanks for the tip.

Drago

Legendary Member
Miss Celine had borrowed my runabout (mark 2 Ford Ka) and suffered a puncture. It doesn't have a spare wheel, just a can of sealant and an inflator, which she successfully used. This meant a new tyre, as the sealant ruins the damaged one.

I see a replacement can of sealant costs almost as much as the replacement tyre did. Does it have to be Ford stuff or do others work as well? I see Halfords sell Holts tyre sealant which is a fraction of the price and claims not to ruin the tyre. Does anyone have any experience of this product or can recommend an alternative?
Provided its not left more than a couple of days the sealant can be sluiced out as its water soluble. Tyre places hate working on them because it's time consuming and messy so they make up this bollards about it ruining the tyre, when warm soapy water it all it takes to clean it out.

Of course, tyre fitters and warm soapy water rarely mix.

Top Bottom