Tyre Size for 700x40c hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biggler

Über Member
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to ask what might seem like a 'newbie' question.

I've got a Giant Roam 2 2013 with 700X40C tyres, and if it matters Giant CR70 Double Wall aluminium wheels.

I take it '700' refers to the diameter and 40c (4cm?) refers to the tyre width.

How do I know what tyre sizes my bike can take, can it only take 700x40c or can I pick thinner or wider tyres?

Thanks for the help.

You should be able to fit slightly thinner or wider tyres, though I am not sure on sizes.

OP
OP
Biggler

Biggler

Über Member
I'll get the manual out or look on the wheels to see if that can shed any light on it. I'm currently in work and fancied window shopping for new tyres, not that I need them... the bike's 2 days old :P

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
You have to match the 700 (or one of the other terms for the same size! :wacko:) and you can vary the width. What kind of width were you thinking of? I have a Roam2 but ive only used 35-42s on it so far, id be confident 30-45 at least though. One major thing IMHO is that tyre width figures don't really mean that much, you can get a much faster rolling wider tyre depending on tread, or a thinner tyre that has better grip offroad. Assuming it came with Kenda Kwicks still, they drag quite a lot on the road and a similar sized slicker tyre is much smoother rolling, but obviously much less able offroad :smile:

OP
OP
Biggler

Biggler

Über Member
Just about all of my cycling is on road, or cycle path. I've seen (or at least thought i've seen) a rolling difference from a MTB with road tyres and the Giant Roam 2 with stock tyres.

I was wondering if there were slicker/thinner tyres I could get purely for road cycling.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The big thing is how wide the rims are. You should have another number on the rim, something like 700-19c. The last number (19 in this case) is the interior width of the rim. From that you can work out tyre sizes.

I'd guess with 40mm tyres at present, you would probably have 19mm rims (700-19c, though may even be a bit wider), in which case you could go down to about 28mm tyres. Have a look at things like Schwalbe Marathons/Durano, Continental Gatorskins or Bontranger Hardcase to name a few.

rovers1875

Veteran
My revolution courier pursuit (hybrid) came with 700 x 42 tyres, They were soon swapped for 700 x 35s and when they recently wore out I have just put on 700 x 32s and can't say there has been any problem at all. Just go for what ever you think.

OP
OP
Biggler

Biggler

Über Member
Wheel
giant-wheel.png

Tyre
giant-tyre.png

I cant see anything that looks like 700-19c could it be the 622x19? Nothing about tyre sizes in the manual either.

I was kind of wanting to try the wider road tyres x28's? But I'm kind of weary :P

vickster

Legendary Member
How about going to your local bike shop, get their advice and then support their business by buying there :smile: You never know, they may even help you fit the tyres :thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 2550064, member: 259"]It might look a bit strange though? :thumbsup:[/quote]No more so than fitting Cityjets on to a mountain bike, which is quite popular.

Oh, I didn't mention - if the OP has a cycle computer fitted, the wheel size will need resetting as it will be overestimating speed and distance with the narrower tyre fitted.

Cyclist33

I'll get the manual out or look on the wheels to see if that can shed any light on it. I'm currently in work and fancied window shopping for new tyres, not that I need them... the bike's 2 days old :P

The manual will be useless, Giant like almost all the rest just provide a totally generic "bike manual" with their products, which tells you how to avoid death by putting your feet on the pedals and making a roughly circular motion!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
How about going to your local bike shop, get their advice and then support their business by buying there :smile: You never know, they may even help you fit the tyres :thumbsup:
That was the reply i was coming in with, I would try a"proper" bike shop for advice, a LBS. as Vickster suggests, not a chain store operation.

OP
OP
Biggler

Biggler

Über Member
I would buy my gear from the same guy I bought my bike off (not so local bike shop, but when I popped in he was genuinely nice and helpful), but I don't really want to start asking him about new tyres without the intention of ordering them after his advice. I don't really want to waste his time like that, and I wouldn't blame him if he thought I was going to buy them online if I did do that.

I'd just wanted to know what size tyres my bike could take so I could go window shopping... I tend to do that and I've already started looking for a Garmin, pedals, gloves, n+1......

Thanks for the answers though, it's appreciated..

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you have to buy them online and not from him after getting his advice? You never know he may be willing to adjust his price to be closer to the web

Top Bottom