Tyre Size for 700x40c hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Biggler

Biggler

Über Member
I don't have to buy them online, and I definitely wouldn't if I took up his time asking for his advice. I may have sounded confusing above, but at the moment I don't have the intention of buying new tyres so I didn't want to take up his time asking his advice and then not buying any... I wouldn't blame him if he thought I was asking his advice then purchasing online.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah I thought you were buying tyres now?!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I went through this dilemma myself just a couple of months ago as after 5000 miles the OEM fit tyres on my hybrid were very tired. After much debate I decided to plump for another set of exactly the same tyre in exactly the same size (700x35c). My reasoning for this was that I was perfectly happy with the ride and performance of these tyres and to be honest even riding my 23c shod road bike or my MTB fitted with 26x2.1 slicks I have never felt compromised by the tyres so why lose the safety margin of the 35c tyre (which is damn useful when you hit that unexpected/unseen pot hole at speed) by swapping to a thinner tyre in search of theoretical/mythical speed advantages?

I ride these tyres - HERE but it looks like they are out of production now :sad:

tudor_77

Über Member
Hey Biggler, I have the exact same bike as you. As far as I know 700x28 is the thinest you could get away with but 700x32 might be more practical. I've been pondering the same thing but actually quite like the stock tyres on the Roam 2. Despite the chunky(ish) tyres it rides surprisingly fast in my opinion.

OP
OP
Biggler

Biggler

Über Member
I've not got any thinner tyres to compare them to, only a mountain bike which are definitely wider, but I'm happy with them too.

However, if I went to 700x32 I could get Slime Inner tubes (I really dont fancy swapping tubes on the road :P ) as I've not found any slimes that go as big as 700x40.

AndyPeace

I've not got any thinner tyres to compare them to, only a mountain bike which are definitely wider, but I'm happy with them too.

However, if I went to 700x32 I could get Slime Inner tubes (I really dont fancy swapping tubes on the road :P ) as I've not found any slimes that go as big as 700x40.

If your going to use slime, don't forget to take a pump or air canistors with you, if the tire puntures and heals it will still loose air . Personally having tried the stuff I wouldn't recomend it, but if your journey's are short and your happy to ride back on a flat tire (yep, even with slime it will still happen!). I'd practice changing the tube to up your roadside confidence and get quality tires with a layer of puncture protection, they rarely fail.

OP
OP
Biggler

Biggler

Über Member
I'm not adverse to swapping an innertube, I would just rather not if I could help it :smile: Are inner tubes pretty much the same from brand to brand, other than Slime that is?

Top Bottom