Tyre size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

I am going to change the tyres on my Scott bike for some more puncture protected tyres, seem to be getting punctures just recently which I think is due to the poor country lanes I use... covered in small stones, thorns and remains from farm traffic..

Currently I have Schwalbe Smart Sam fitted which have the size 700 x 42C or 44-622 on the side wall as per the attached...

I am going to get some Schwalbe Marathon Tour but they only do a 700 x 40C or 42-622 am I correct in saying these are just a bit narrower and will fit OK?

Thanks

Stuart

vickster

Legendary Member
Should be fine on the same rims if the 42s are original spec :okay:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes the 40s will fit perfectly well.

If it's Marathon Plus Tour you're thinking of, they appear to be 30 quid each pretty much everywhere. Tredz on the other hand have Marathon Mondial for nearer 20 and they're great tyres.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Yes the 40s will fit perfectly well.

If it's Marathon Plus Tour you're thinking of, they appear to be 30 quid each pretty much everywhere. Tredz on the other hand have Marathon Mondial for nearer 20 and they're great tyres.

Tredz do the Tour for £31.99 but I signed up for the newsletter and have a voucher for £5 off plus they do free delivery..

The reason I went for the tour is I want as much puncture protection as I can get, I only ride the country lanes and just recently they are a right mess, maybe due to farmers getting fields ready for this year I expect :smile:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Does say they have lol
I gather there's been a couple of recent tales of Tredz appearing to have stock online, and then it turns out they hadn't. I'm not sure if it was a widespread thing.

I think Mondial have good puncture protection too, they're well regarded by touring cyclists. Anecdotal I know but I've had them on my tourer for well over a year and I've not had a flat yet.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

In the last 4 rides I have done I have had a puncture in the rear tyre twice.... not good worst it has been..

I suspect that the wear on the rear tyre may be causing an issue as well, it is not worn out but the tread is way down so maybe easier for the small, sharp stones to penetrate the tyre... pity my wheels are not tubeless compatible..

vickster

Legendary Member
I gather there's been a couple of recent tales of Tredz appearing to have stock online, and then it turns out they hadn't. I'm not sure if it was a widespread thing.

I think Mondial have good puncture protection too, they're well regarded by touring cyclists. Anecdotal I know but I've had them on my tourer for well over a year and I've not had a flat yet.
It’s not a recent thing, been like it for years. Maybe better now Halfords owned

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Just took the plunge and ordered the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour, maximum protection and hopefully stop me getting punctures...

I did use the Tredz live chat and they confirmed they had good stocks of these tyres, so I will see how they go...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions I do appreciate it :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's loads of different types of Schwalbe Marathons, and all Marathons aren't equal - so look into it properly and check the puncture resistance level carefully.
I've currently got Marathon Greenguards and Delta Cruiser+ in use in 26" x 1 3/8", 700 x 28c, 700 x 35c and 700 x 38c sizes. None of them have had an air escape incident in up to three years in the case of the oldest set. The 38's are the most comfortable, although not markedly better than the 35's. All are heavy, the 38's are enough to cause a weight weenie carbon roadie to call up his therapist for an appointment.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Looking at the Schwalbe site the Tour seem to have the best puncture protection with a 5mm belt but they are a heavy tyre, they do get good reviews though and as I am no speed freak I think they should be OK... I hope lol ....

Not only are these country lanes covered in small, sharp stones, thorns etc they are not the best maintained so not smooth so speed is a no no..

Top Bottom