Tyre size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not familiar with the Tour but the Greenguard and Delta Cruiser+ are both Level 5 puncture protection. Marathon+ are Level 7, the highest made by Schwalbe.
Some other Schwalbes, such as basic Land Cruiser and basic Delta Cruiser, not the Plus variants, are only Level 3. Still tough tyres, but I regard punctures as a pain in the arse and I want as few of them as I can achieve whilst getting reasonable comfort from the tyre.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I agree, a complete pain, and I am in pain now as whilst repairing this one today my bloody back went...again, in agony now lol ...

I will let you know how these perform compared to the OE Schwalbe Smart Sam's the bike came with...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You need a degree to understand Schwalbe's protection system and which ones are better rated than others in the range side by side, i think it's a baffling system... thankfully all the "guarded" ones are good tyres and all have pretty good protection, right up to phenomenal protection.

I've had Marathon Plus on a Trek for ten years now and not one puncture, I'm convinced they're bomb proof but they're also quite solid heavy tyres. The Mondial have more flex and are just more comfortable, so with no puncture in a year I'll choose them again. I don't mind doing a very occasional fix if it ever comes along. I need the practice anyway.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Well the tyres arrived yesterday, ordered late Saturday and arrived at 9am yesterday so not a bad service from Tredz :smile:

Now to see if they are as big a pain to fit as people say..... :smile: as long as they stop my punctures I will be happy and it will be worth it lol

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

just fitted the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour's to my Scott Sun Cross 10, was expecting them to be a complete nightmare to fit after reading about them and watching videos but they went on a treat... went back on by hand with no tools.... bit concerned really how easy they did go on...

I even made sure they had the right size on them... the ones that came off are 44-622, 700x 42 and the new 42-622, 700 x 40 so just a touch narrower...

Anyone else fitted them without any fuss?

Now to see how they perform ... hopefully no punctures ..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You need a degree to understand Schwalbe's protection system and which ones are better rated than others in the range side by side, i think it's a baffling system... thankfully all the "guarded" ones are good tyres and all have pretty good protection, right up to phenomenal protection.

I've had Marathon Plus on a Trek for ten years now and not one puncture, I'm convinced they're bomb proof but they're also quite solid heavy tyres. The Mondial have more flex and are just more comfortable, so with no puncture in a year I'll choose them again. I don't mind doing a very occasional fix if it ever comes along. I need the practice anyway.

Here you go nicely listed by relative puncture protection.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/newsreader/schwalbe-protection-benchmark-of-puncture-protection

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
the ones that came off are 44-622, 700x 42 and the new 42-622, 700 x 40 so just a touch narrower...

Anyone else fitted them without any fuss?

Now to see how they perform ... hopefully no punctures ..

I've managed to fit several 700c and 26" Marathon Greenguard without resorting to tyre levers. They needed a fair bit of persuasion and I've got strong hands but there were no dramas. I have tied the tyre through the spokes with a strong cord on occasion. Wider section puncture-resistant hybrid, tourer, or MTB tyres are easier to fit than narrower road racing jobs IMHO.

Bomb-proof tyres minimise the risk of getting a visit from the Fairy, but you will improve the odds further if you are vigilant and check the tyres for embedded objects regularly. it's easy to be complacent and lazy if you run Marathons, but digging out any debris you find stuck in the tread will reduce the risk even more. Small sharp objects can often take some time to work their way through the tyre casing. if you find and remove them in time, you'll stop another puncture before it happens.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I've managed to fit several 700c and 26" Marathon Greenguard without resorting to tyre levers. They needed a fair bit of persuasion and I've got strong hands but there were no dramas. I have tied the tyre through the spokes with a strong cord on occasion. Wider section puncture-resistant hybrid, tourer, or MTB tyres are easier to fit than narrower road racing jobs IMHO.

Bomb-proof tyres minimise the risk of getting a visit from the Fairy, but you will improve the odds further if you are vigilant and check the tyres for embedded objects regularly. it's easy to be complacent and lazy if you run Marathons, but digging out any debris you find stuck in the tread will reduce the risk even more. Small sharp objects can often take some time to work their way through the tyre casing. if you find and remove them in time, you'll stop another puncture before it happens.

These were very easy to fit, in fact I was concerned they were too easy... very little force was needed maybe because they are 40mm wide tyres being on my hybrid..

I do try to avoid as much of the rubbish on the road as I can and do check tyres as much as I can as well to make sure they are clear .. think I got 2 punctures in my last 4 rides in the back wheel due to it being worn in the centre, not worn out but low..

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Good start... fitted the tyres yesterday, not been out on it yet but just looked at the bike and the front tyre was flat lol :smile: good job I was not going out...

Thought maybe pinched the tube but when I took the tube out and blew it it stayed inflated and no apparent leaks...

Put the tube in water and there were a lot of bubbles from the open presta valve which seemed to stop when I tightened the valve..should they do this?

To be safe as the front had a couple of patches I replaced the tube but prior to fitting I inflated the tube a little and put the valve in water.. there was the odd bubble but not like the old tube which seemed to bubble quite well... maybe a faulty valve or I damaged fitting yesterday?

See if it stays up now... hope so :sad:

I have inflated the old tube and hung it up to see if it goes down..

**UPDATE**

Just checked and it stayed up over night but strange thing is so has the tube I took out which had gone flat... :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Well, first ride out on the bike with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour fitted, impressed really, seems to make the bike smoother to ride on the rough roads compared to the Schwalbe Smart Sam that it came with... so I will see how they go....

Only issue... another spoke went in the back wheel (disc side) :sad: only a slight buckle so I did another 12 miles on it :smile:

Just called the small LBS that replaced the last couple of spokes last year, dropped it off should be collecting in an hour or so... Just a small one man band that sells second hand bikes and does a few spares and repairs and only charges about £10 to do the job...

Fingers crossed

Top Bottom