Tyre specifics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black knight

Hi,

New to tyre buying but decided to go for the Gatorskins.

Bit confused about the options on the below link.

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=18800

I know the 25 is wider and more comfortable than the 23 but on of the 25's show folding black duraskin and the other shows wire black duraskin.

What's the difference?

Thanks

Rick.

p.s just noticed the 'folding' RRP is a fiver more so I guess they're the 'better' but what do they do?

rusky

CC Addict
The wire version has a wire bead around each side & the folding are just that, they fold as they have no wire so pack down to a small size.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
from my experience the wire ones are easier to get on. the wire has a bit more stretch than the kevlar bead.
I would only go for kevlar if i was going to transport the tyres regularly and folding was needed.
Note that it is possible to 'fold' a normal wire bead, it just has to be done in a specific way.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but also thinking of ordering Gatorskins (Winstanleys appear to have the cheapest 700x23s - 20.99 delivered). Are they about the lightest, most free-running, durable wintertyre??? Been running Pro3 Race which can't cope with the epidemic of surface dressing of the local roads, and have cut up really badly. I am looking for a fast-running, responsive, light and yet puncture resistant tyre to ride from now and on through the winter.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The Gatorskins offer good puncture protection for a fast (ish) road tyre, but the puncture protection is meagre compared to other tyres - Schwalbe Marathon Plus or my all round favourite, Bontrager Racelite Hardcase.

Note, I speak as a commuter so reliability is the key for me. Your priorities might be different to mine.

If puncture protection and speed is your priority, you might wish to consider Gatorskin Hardshell or Schwalbe Durano Plus (more expensive)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Gatorskins on - 23mm folding, 8 bar. First impressions - good! Not quite as zippy as the P3Rs, but seem to roll pretty well - only 20 gms heavier after all. Obviously too early to judge re durability - only 40 miles today, but dealt efficiently with plenty of 'surface dressing', broken glass and potholes. BTW, had NO problems getting them on the rims at all (Aksiums), thumbs only required.

Top Bottom