Tyre suddenly deflates whilst bike is parked up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm sure this happened to me a few years back, but I was just lazing around watching the tv when all of a sudden i heard this loud hissing noise coming from the kitchen.
My first thoughts were it's a water leak and flew off the sofa in a blind panic looking to were the noise was coming from. Eventually i tracked it down to my bikes rear tyre slowly releasing air under the mud guard which made it sound alot worse.
Panic over, an inner tube is a lot cheaper to fix than a dreaded water leak that i thought it was 💦🤣

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wait till they go bang in your kitchen.

A long time ago I tried out slime tubes on my MTB, I was driving along on a hot sunny day with the bike in the back of the estate car. The heat must have turned the slime to steam. Suddenly there was a very loud bang and the interior of the car got covered in green slime. Made me jump.... a lot.

I'm sure this happened to me a few years back, but I was just lazing around watching the tv when all of a sudden i heard this loud hissing noise coming from the kitchen.
My first thoughts were it's a water leak and flew off the sofa in a blind panic looking to were the noise was coming from. Eventually i tracked it down to my bikes rear tyre slowly releasing air under the mud guard which made it sound alot worse.
Panic over, an inner tube is a lot cheaper to fix than a dreaded water leak that i thought it was 💦🤣
Do you have a cat ?

I was foolish enough to leave my bike in the kitchen overnight and the cat used it as a scratch post.

Those claws are like little hypodermic needles.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I do have a cat when you come to think of it. (He's looking very guilty as we breath)
The tyres are virtually new but the tubes are getting on a bit, so it's most probably perished.. I'll look at it tomorrow once the boilers had it's yearly check up

Drago

Legendary Member
Lesson learned - check for land mines before parking the bike.

T4tomo

Guru
Likely to be a bit of flint imbedded in the tyre, and change of temp or just timing that it chose that moment to pierce the tube.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I fixed a tyre on a friends bike yesterday evening. I could not believe the state of the wheel generally. A sheared off spoke nipple. The wheel underneath the rim tape was full of a kind of yellow grit. The wheel was filthy. The tyre was all stretched and the sidewalls were rotting.

I replaced the spoke nipple and re-trued the wheel and replaced both inner-tube and tyre.

I wonder what percentage of bikes are in a similar state?

Top Bottom