Tyre suddenly deflates whilst bike is parked up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A similar thing the other week, not in the kitchen, but the shed.
My tourer had been used the day before, tyres pumped up, everything hunky dory. The following day got the bike out and the front tyre is flat. I presumed a puncture, but pumped it up anyway. Tyre and tube is fine, it stayed hard and only need the normal top up inflation a week or so later.:banghead:

I was getting flat tyres on random mornings a while ago
pressure was fine at the start of a ride - still fine at the end
next morning totally flat

I THINK it was caused by a thorn in the tyre but the hole being fixed by the sealent fixing the problem
then the thorn re-punctures
repeat
sooo
my theory is - if the bike was parked with the thorn at the top then the goo would slowly sink to the bottom of the inner tube
hence the hole is no longer getting fixed

solution - find the thorn and remove it and fix the hole properly

of course - I could be talking rubbish - it is not unknown!!!

si_c

Guru
Had one go a couple of years ago, cleaned the bike, pumped up the tires to 110psi outside in the (I think) Feb chill, brought the bike inside and put it in its spot next to the radiator... 20mins later and angry wife with heart failure.

rivers

How far can I go?
Just wait till a tubeless tyre explodes in your house ! :ohmy:
I was riding with a friend around Castle Combe last summer on our TT bikes. All of sudden an almighty boom and sealant flying everywhere. How she managed to keep upright and make it to the grass verge is beyond me. We had a very long walk back to the entry point.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I was riding with a friend around Castle Combe last summer on our TT bikes. All of sudden an almighty boom and sealant flying everywhere. How she managed to keep upright and make it to the grass verge is beyond me. We had a very long walk back to the entry point.

It reminds me of a incident I saw in a US West Coast bike tour video. Very dramatic.

I blew my front tyre descending Alpe d'Huez. It was the day after the tour finished there so there was a lot of traffic and I needed to brake more than usual. Luckily it was a left hand hairpin coming up with a lay-by on the right for me to run into.

byegad

Legendary Member
I was descending a long, gentle hill at about 30mph, a lorry was overtaking me, a bit too close, when my rear tube went with a very loud bang. Sitting slightly taller saddle, I managed to keep the bike straight and upright until the lorry passed me. Then the tyre unseated from the rim locking the back wheel. I managed to come to a halt safely but it took 15 minutes for my heart rate to return to normal.
I told Lady Byegad what had happened, missing out the lorry, and how loud it had been. Two days later that bike was still in the kitchen when it blew again. She was shocked by the volume so much so that she spilled her cup of coffee.

davidphilips

Veteran
Puncture fairies seem to visit at any time or place and there seems no rime or reason in some cases? Theres been a few years that i have not had any punctures then seemly for no reason i have lots almost every time i go near a bike, Clean and check a bike go out the next morning and theres a flat tyre, go to check the tyre pressure and tyre goes down with valve core away from the tube?

Have been guilty of changing a tyre in a hurry and after inflating the tyre a few minutes latter theres a big bang where the tube has pushed out from under the tyre ( can give quite a shock if standing close to it, may even be worse if on the bike?)

CXRAndy

Guru
If you're set on using inner tubes. Using talcum powder inside the tyre allows the inner tube to smoothly slide reducing chance of nipping or friction between the two surfaces.

I rub the inner tube all over with a handful of talc, apply a little inside the tyre, rotate it all around the surfaces.

Last edited:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
If you're set on using inner tubes. Using talcum powder inside the tyre allows the inner tube to smoothly slide reducing chance of nipping or friction between the two surfaces.

I rub the inner tube all over with a handful of talc, apply a little inside the tyre, rotate it all around the surfaces.
Yes, me too. My tyres smell of Imperial Leather.

Top Bottom