Tyre Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Have been using Conti GP4000S for about 9 months and really like them in wet or dry. Have used them on my Defy in the Winter and found them great too.

n+1 came with Hutchinson Equinox tyres. Reviews aren't great, and had a few sketchy moments on Sunday's ride. I don't have the confidence in them at all tbh, so looking to replace them.

Instead of just whacking more Conti's on, I am interested in other people's suggestions on tyres similar to the GP4000S.

n+1 is a Bianchi, and Matte Black, so have looked at some of the Vittoria tyres with the Celeste band. The jury is out on those though, as know nothing about the tyres, and not 100% on the band yet.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
ran Durano S in a 25mm on my good bike all last year ( they came fitted ) and thought they were bloody good. Wore them out more or less and no punctures, so that was a good 3k miles. Currently got used Mich Pro4 Endurance that I got from a fine chap on here which In all honesty are quite good albeit a wee bit heavier. I might buy some more Durano`s again as they were very good rolling tyres.

Just as a side note never got on with vittoria tyres especially rubino pros got loads of punctures with them, Maybe the more expensive ones would be better ?? I`m really starting to think that realy lightweight tyres whilst spin up well, have zero puncture protection and that the trade off is not remotely worth it. Oh and Bontrager hardcases which I run on my fixed are pretty much bomb proof and more likely to wear out than deflate.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Interesting @MrGrumpy experience with the Vittoria Rubino's- I commute and pleasure ride with them as they're ~£10 a pop on Wiggle normally and (touch wood) have not had a air escaping rapidly issue in about 3k miles. I may well go for something a bit plusher for my Sunday best as they're a bit on the heavy side.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You will get varying opinions on here some find Rubino`s bomb proof, others like me not so good. Although now thinking back it could well have been I had them fitted for winter which woud probably explain my poor experience :tongue: . Not a winter tyre!! On side note I loved Mich Pro 2,3 and 4`s Service course in a 23mm, very fast tyres for the summer bike but since discovering 25mm I`m loathed to go down a size, you see I`m larger than your average climbing goat on here at 95kg so all my tyres run max PSI which means harsh ride on 23s and more punctures, so finding 25mm much more forgiving and zero pinch flats!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 for Rubino's being bomb proof. Many thousands of miles in all weathers and conditions without punctures. The only downside is that if you are pushing it up a hill in crappy conditions (muddy wet roads) they do lose a little grip.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
in winter ?? I want to love them to be honest as they are much cheaper and think they just don`t go togethor in a Scottish winter as there is that much grit thrown down ?? Maybe i should try them again for the summer steed ??

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Other tyres may have better puncture resistance or roll slightly faster, but I've found the Continental GP4000s to be the best all-round tyre there is..... end of.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Rubino's in winter too with no problem- I'm glad I'm not the only one with spinning problems uphill if the road is a bit polished- not a problem on descents/ corners though.

cashy293

I bought Michelin Pro 4 service tyres pretty much for cosmetic reasons and have found them great. Only had 1 puncture and that was after riding through a pretty nasty pothole and havent had any issues with grip in all conditions. I use them all year round.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
no way would they work in winter up here, too much grit on the road, flung one one on the front of my bike last week in an emergency and it lasted two days before it was flat! As for summer I would normally get a good run with them and little in the way of punctures.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers guys. From the above suggestions, I have narrowed it down to the Michelin Pro 4's, Schwalbe One's or the GP4000S again.

Reviews look very promising on all three tbh.

The problem I have is that I don't trust the Huthinson's and they're not particularly fast either.

Have swapped the Conti's between bikes a couple of times, but not something I plan on doing all the time!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
All similar in price for a pair, with offer code on the Conti's.

Just need to decide on 23 or 25 for my hefty 69kg frame?

Pro 4's only in 20 and 23 it appears.

Top Bottom