Tyre width for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thecube

thecube

I run 28mm vittoria rubino Pros on my 2014 CX, I find the bike itself is good at dealing with the shocks and a 28mm tyre gives me a fair bit of comfort to speed.

I did try running 28 at the back and 25 at the front, that also worked pretty well too.

Though like another user said here, VIttoria has a range of commuting tires, I think you might want to look there.

Thanks for that, 25's on the front, that is getting a little too similar to the road bike I think. I must admit that after a few rides I am getting used to the 35's a bit now, so will probably stick with them for a bit. But I have some good choices to keep my eyes open for in the meantime. Thanks for all the replies.

Tangoup51

Thanks for that, 25's on the front, that is getting a little too similar to the road bike I think. I must admit that after a few rides I am getting used to the 35's a bit now, so will probably stick with them for a bit. But I have some good choices to keep my eyes open for in the meantime. Thanks for all the replies.

No problem. - Yeah, you could always try a slightly smaller size at the front anyway, 32 instead of 35 for example. it helps with your aero somewhat and helps to keep things balanced :smile:

I live on the outskirts of Leicester city and the best compromise tires I had ever gotten riding the city was 32 F 35 R, on the country side (and national parks) I got so much more speed from 25-28s - But didn't feel very secure going downhill against the rough roads. - Then Again, I am not a light rider. :dance:

OP
OP
thecube

thecube

That sounds like good advice, I think 32f, 35r is a sensible option. I'm over Loughborough way, the roads just don't seem to be getting any better (and I don't think that is exclusively a Leicestershire problem).

Tin Pot

Guru
I have just bought a Boardman CX team bike for my commute to work and to generally potter about on. It feels OK but the tyres are a bit of a shock coming from a road bike. I think they are some pretty cheap and basic nobbly Schwalbe tyres, 35mm. My commute is a mere 3.5m on mainly road and cycle paths, so I want something a little faster and more suitable. But, I also want something comfortable and reliable. My favourite choice so far (based on a small amount of research and reviews) are the Schwalbe marathon (or Plus). But, not sure on size, 35, 32 or 28mm. I do want something a little more suitable to the pot holed roads and cycle paths with the option of the odd trail. So I am thinking maybe 32mm, or will I still find them sluggish on the road? Any suggestions welcome, I can look at other tyres too if they are recommended.
23mm gatorskins at 120psi

I don't understand the complaints people have with this set up.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I am surprised people are saying a skinnier tyre at the front, surely you would want the same size at the front as less weight on it to stick it too the road and more disastrous if it skids.

I am surprised people are saying a skinnier tyre at the front, surely you would want the same size at the front as less weight on it to stick it too the road and more disastrous if it skids.

That's an old myth that just won't go away, I'm afraid. I've seen it often, without any explanation at all. However, today I read that "it balances things out". I wonder what it balances out.

Sixmile

Veteran
For most of my commutes (13m each way) I'm still riding on my stock 38c tyres. As suggested above, I've been using them until I wear them out then I'll think about Marathon Plus' or whatever. So far I've swapped the rear to the front and they're still going strong almost 2 years on.

I would say half of my commute is on roads with very poor surfaces and I much prefer bringing in the hybrid with these bigger tyres as it is far more comfortable and not drastically slower than the road bike.

Top Bottom