Tyres, anti-puncture, Vredestein Fortezza or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

So, I shall be getting some new tyres for a new commuter bike wheelset (very excited!).

Lots of advice / reviews pointed to Vredestein Fortezza when I last bought some, and Wiggle had them on a Black Friday sale for £11 last time, so I picked them up! They've cracked quite a lot though so I have a couple of questions.

Is cracking even an issue?
Is there a better option out there?

I'm looking for the most durable option out there that won't puncture. It's mostly a commuter bike that I'll also use for sportives and occasional long weekend rides. The roads aren't great around here, and I'm pretty heavy, and as it's a commuter bike it's just very important that it doesn't die on the way to work!

In all honesty, I'm likely to just pick up another of the same, as I've seen them on sale at Merlin, but with the cracking, I thought I'd check what you guys thought!
https://www.merlincycles.com/vredes...ather-clincher-road-tyre-clearance-97592.html

hoopdriver

Guru
If you are seeking the ultimate in durability and puncture resistance, Schwalbe Marathon pluses are an extremely durable - nay, legendary - puncture proof tyre that last for ages. I have used them for years on tourers and when I used to commute. Totally reliable. Can be hard to mount on a rim, but once you do they are virtually fit and forget.

vickster

Legendary Member
Durano raceguard for me, but I have had two punctures recently. Snakebite thanks to a massive pothole and possibly underinflation and then last week a 2cm screw which have dove for any tyre. About £18-20 from CRC

M+ just too heavy, sluggish and slippery in the wet for me. And too hard if do happen to get a puncture

No tyre is completely puncture proof so always carry tools and tube on commute

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Yes I should have mentioned that, I'm not a fan of slipping in the wet! That's probably just as important to me as durability.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Use the search function to look for "puncture resistant / proof tyres" and write off the rest of your day, reading.
Remember the quality of your inner tube is also worth researching. Wave goodbye to Sunday, reading.

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Use the search function to look for "puncture resistant / proof tyres" and write off the rest of your day, reading.
Remember the quality of your inner tube is also worth researching. Wave goodbye to Sunday, reading.
lol I know that feeling! I have a few continental inner tubes, as they were on a bulk offer. They were pretty decent :smile:

If they are always on offer I'd be a bit dubious of them especially given your experience of them. I also don't trust the reviews on the Merlin site, there a little too positive. My favourite for a fast grippy tyre on a road bike thats robust for commuting are Michelin Pro 4 Endurance.
I see what you mean about always being on offer. I don't know if they are always on offer to that extent, it's more that they are an old model and about to be off the market from what I can see. I don't trust this "reduced from £40" thing though! I'm fairly sure it's a twenty quid tyre!

I'll read through some of the suggestions here though!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tubeless is the obvious answer.

This would enable you to run a grippy tyre without being over-fearful of punctures.

Rolling resistance is reduced - never a bad thing - and running slightly lower pressures improves comfort and grip.

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Tempted by Continental Grand Prix 4000S II, but there seems to be a lot of love for the Durano's, and they are a tenner less, so perhaps I'll give them a whirl!

Pale Rider - Do you need specific wheels for tubeless tyres?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes I should have mentioned that, I'm not a fan of slipping in the wet! That's probably just as important to me as durability.

I've run Marathon + tyres for years and years, they're phenomenal. Also, I've never had any concerns about their performance in the wet. (By the way, Glasgow means Dear Green Place and it's that way because it rains here A LOT!)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tempted by Continental Grand Prix 4000S II, but there seems to be a lot of love for the Durano's, and they are a tenner less, so perhaps I'll give them a whirl!

Pale Rider - Do you need specific wheels for tubeless tyres?

No, although 'tubeless ready' rims are shaped internally by means of small ledge for the tyre bead to seal.

Tubeless rim tape will do a better job of sealing the spoke bed than ordinary rim tape, although plenty of riders add a wrap of Gorilla tape or similar.

Any tyre can be set up tubeless, but bear in mind a bicycle tyre carcass is not designed to be airtight - the inner tube holds the air in.

A tyre marked 'tubeless ready' is designed to be airtight which means the sealant has less work to do, which in turn improves the chances of a successful installation.

When I asked about tubeless on a clincher rim the vast majority of answers I got from the UK TT forum on Faceboke were a no. A few quoted stories of tubeless tyres coming away from a clincher rim. I suppose it depends what forces you are exerting the tyre/ rim to as it can technically be done (tubeless tyre on a clincher rim) but I decided against it :-/

Top Bottom