Tyres, anti-puncture, Vredestein Fortezza or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I asked about tubeless on a clincher rim the vast majority of answers I got from the UK TT forum on Faceboke were a no. A few quoted stories of tubeless tyres coming away from a clincher rim. I suppose it depends what forces you are exerting the tyre/ rim to as it can technically be done (tubeless tyre on a clincher rim) but I decided against it :-/

Fair enough, although it's hard to see how the presence of an inner tube would prevent the tyre blowing off the rim.

I wonder if the riders you spoke to were trying to run a gazillion psi.

I've no experience of very narrow roadie rims/tyres.

It seems to me any hybrid/MTB wheel and most road wheels can be set up tubeless.

The only road bike rider who I know runs tubeless is @Sea of vapours.

In my understanding, whilst many tyres and rims can be set up to be tubeless with appropriate tape and sealant, it's not a good idea at 'road pressures'. There's certainly plenty of anecdata around suggesting that running 'ghetto tubeless' on relatively narrow rims/tyres, at relatively high pressures, is at the very least inadvisable. Proper tubeless with rims and tyres designed for that setup is excellent, however.

Tubeless ready rims are different from normal clinchers in having a shoulder/hook on which the tyre bead sits; this both holds the tyre more actively and provides an airtight seal. Additionally, the tyre bead is, I have certainly read, different. Based on two different pairs of tubeless wheels, they certainly look different from a normal clincher.

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Well, for me at least, whilst it sounds like it can be done, it sounds like a bit more of a headache than I'm up for at this stage! I think i'll just grab some normal clinchers this time around. Maybe next time I'll look more :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Use the search function to look for "puncture resistant / proof tyres" and write off the rest of your day, reading.
Remember the quality of your inner tube is also worth researching. Wave goodbye to Sunday, reading.

If they are always on offer I'd be a bit dubious of them especially given your experience of them. I also don't trust the reviews on the Merlin site, there a little too positive. My favourite for a fast grippy tyre on a road bike thats robust for commuting are Michelin Pro 4 Endurance.

I think you're both right! Far too much reading for one day, but I've read a lot of reviews and it seems like the Michelins are amazing. Better puncture resistance, and better performance than the Durano's.
This review is pretty out of this world positive towards them!

vickster

Legendary Member

I think you're both right! Far too much reading for one day, but I've read a lot of reviews and it seems like the Michelins are amazing. Better puncture resistance, and better performance than the Durano's.
This review is pretty out of this world positive towards them!
I found the pro 4 endurance wore out rather quickly, probably under 2000 miles on 25s for a not inexpensive tyre. Ymmv. Can't really compare performance of 25s vs 32s, I'm not exactly a performance oriented racing cyclist. Had a few punctures too, including a simultaneous double although to be fair riding over an unavoidable lump of metal would do for most tyres

I found the pro 4 endurance wore out rather quickly, probably under 2000 miles on 25s for a not inexpensive tyre. Ymmv. Can't really compare performance of 25s vs 32s, I'm not exactly a performance oriented racing cyclist. Had a few punctures too, including a simultaneous double although to be fair riding over an unavoidable lump of metal would do for most tyres
That's pretty poor maybe a bad batch. I had over 6000miles out of my first set and 1 p'ture that I can recall and they were on my club bike and were no slouch. I just use them over winter now and touch wood I've had no p'ture. I also put them on my commuter which I use all year round they had two p'tures but have done over 3500 miles and still seem ok.

Top Bottom