Tyres for a B'Twin Triban 500SE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
When the Cube Peloton arrives, the B'Twin will become my commuter bike. As it's winter, apparently, I'd like to replace the Vittoria Rubino slicks it's currently wearing with something more suitable for wet weather, however I can only go to 25mm due to clearances.

I'm thinking Schwalbe Marathon; any other recommendations?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not had an issue myself on Rubino pro slicks in the wet myself

Can you still fit real mudguards with 25mm tyres?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Not had an issue myself on Rubino pro slicks in the wet myself

Can you still fit real mudguards with 25mm tyres?

You're braver than me, then ^_^

Mudguards; you have to get the things that clip onto the stays, I think. Or get a big dirty streak up your back, which I prefer...:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't choose to ride in the rain if I can help it

Tread doesn't have much bearing on grip from what I understand

S**t all up my back doesn't appeal aesthetically or for nice clothing, and then you also have to clean it off the bike

lpretro1

Tyre tread on bicycles tyres is not an issue for grip - it's cold that affects the grip more - the colder the tyre is the less grip

When the Cube Peloton arrives, the B'Twin will become my commuter bike. As it's winter, apparently, I'd like to replace the Vittoria Rubino slicks it's currently wearing with something more suitable for wet weather, however I can only go to 25mm due to clearances.

I'm thinking Schwalbe Marathon; any other recommendations?
Decathlon have got a deal on Vittoria 28 mm treaded tyres at present.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/randonneur-road-bike-tyre-700x28-black-id_8303019.html

I forget what the deal is, but it's something like 12.99 each, or 20 quid for the pair. There should be enough clearance on the 500se.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My sons triban 500se has mudguard eyelets, if yours is the same get proper mudguards, as the others are a bugger to fit and quite rattly

Conti 4 Seasons are a good winter tyre.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Now these are brilliant, they don't have the most grip in the world, but they really are bullet proof.

If you want something with a little more grip, have a look at Schwalbe Supreme tyres. The Durano Plus tyres I have are pretty much slick tyres now :tongue: gotta take it easy in the wet.

Conti GP4000S II - Are also very very highly rated, more of an 'all season' tyre.

Top Bottom