Tyres for bit of off-road on hybrid ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
thinking of buying the Trek FX3 disc hybrid (https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/1327610-2018/) for mainly road work but I also want to be able to use off road on tracks, canal paths etc... but believe tyres supplied with bike the Bontrager H2 Hard-case Lite, 700x32c are not ideal for this. Can anyone suggest or recommend decent tyres that I could change too suitable for decent road speed but good on track with good puncture protection ? Believe max size tyres you can put on rims is 700 x 38c

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’ll find the supplied tyres can cope with most tracks and canal paths. I’d give them a chance before replacing them.
I’ve got some Schwalbe Tyraccos on my Spec adventure bike at the moment and they’re great for here with its mix of soft loose surfaces and hard packed mud. Don’t roll that well on the road though.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-T...pound-Active-Wired-700c-Hybrid-Tyre_93009.htm

OP
OP
H

Hodgey1968

You’ll find the supplied tyres can cope with most tracks and canal paths. I’d give them a chance before replacing them.
I’ve got some Schwalbe Tyraccos on my Spec adventure bike at the moment and they’re great for here with its mix of soft loose surfaces and hard packed mud. Don’t roll that well on the road though.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-T...pound-Active-Wired-700c-Hybrid-Tyre_93009.htm

You seem like a man in the know, would you bother in any of the anti puncture stuff like slime and the like in tyres ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Those tyres are already a very good choice for your uses. For roads I personally wouldn't go for anything wider than 32mm (indeed I'd go to 28)

Canal paths are often better surfaced than roads - whereabouts do you live?

If you're doing proper off roading, you might not have chosen the right bike. For park paths etc, nothing wrong with the Bontrager tyres imo

Aren't landcruisers really heavy @raleighnut so slow on roads (like the hateful Marathon +)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I would agree with @Cycleops above, tyres as supplied will probably be fine. On my previous hybrid, when tyres need replacing, I bought Schwalbe Landcruiser, they were fine for road and "light" off road, such as you describe. Current hybrid (Giant Escape 1) has as supplied Giant something or other, they, similarly cope fine with road and light off road use.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Schwalbe Smart Sams for a mix including off road stuff, but as said upthread, towpaths are often better surfaces.

I find the higher the puncture resistance, the heavier and less lively the ride. Dead. I prefer to fix the very occasional flat than ride in virtual drudgery.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
+1 for Land Cruisers.

I had Schwalbe Tyragos on my hybrid, but couldn't find any locally for love nor money when I needed to replace one, so put Marathons on and they were heavy, gripless horrible things that lasted two weeks before I couldn't stand them any longer and replaced them.
They were swapped for Land Cruisers on the basis that they were a) cheap as chips, b) had reasonable puncture protection and had a similar grip pattern to the originals.

Fast enough on road but with enough grip to cope with any off roading I do (including a bridleway where the muddy puddles can be 6 inches deep at this time of year)

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Those tyres are already a very good choice for your uses. For roads I personally wouldn't go for anything wider than 32mm (indeed I'd go to 28)

Canal paths are often better surfaced than roads - whereabouts do you live?

If you're doing proper off roading, you might not have chosen the right bike. For park paths etc, nothing wrong with the Bontrager tyres imo

Aren't landcruisers really heavy @raleighnut so slow on roads (like the hateful Marathon +)
Nah, they've not got the great thick bit under the tread like the M+ I've got em on my Raleigh 'Outlander' (admittedly in 26") and they're good mind you I run em Very Hard (Max Rated PSI)

OP
OP
H

Hodgey1968

Do you guys in the know use inner tubes with tyres or go tubeless ? Isn’t it easier to fix puncture on inner tube than actual tyre ?

Top Bottom