Tyres for the wet months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jrego

Im going to be back on the bike after the snow has gone and am looking for some reasonably priced road tyres that will be good for the wet months. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Norm

What size, what bike and what sort of riding (purely road?) are you contemplating?

Personally I'll be running Michelin Pro's with a bit less air in, take corners with a gradual sweep when its raining and avoiding metal covers/painted lines - I'm not convinced that wet weather tyres are that much better unless you are racing in bad conditions.

Davidc

Guru
Which tyres is very much a personal thing. I don't think there's a right or wrong - depends how you ride, what sort of riding, and the compromise between comfort and speed.

Looking at how the potholes are developing round here I'll be getting an old-nearly-worn-out set fitted to both bikes in the next couple of days, for after the thaw. That way I'll not be too worried if they get wrecked, I can just worry about the rims then.

After that I'll have the 700 x 32 Schwalbe Marathons on the tourer and semislick 26 x 1 3/4 Continental City Ride on the other one.

AlanW

Guru
accountantpete said:
Personally I'll be running Michelin Pro's with a bit less air in, take corners with a gradual sweep when its raining and avoiding metal covers/painted lines - I'm not convinced that wet weather tyres are that much better unless you are racing in bad conditions.

But, on the downside don't you think that its a waste of a dam good summer tyre?

Plus, and when compared to a good quality winter tyre, ie Conti 4 Seasons, the Pros are so much much likely to suffer a sudden visit from the puncture fairy. :smile:

But the biggest kick is after spending 4 months riding slower winter tyres, when the sun comes out, swap wheels for summer ones c/w the Pros and away you go, same effort but so much faster. :smile:

AlanW said:
No contest, Conti 4 Seasons, don't accept anything any less.

+ 1. Changed to them a couple of months back and they have been great even in the snow !

andyhunter

i use pro 3 race tyre front and pro 2 race tyre rear that have got alot of miles under them and cut up fair bit to. Should be replaced by now but i shall get sh*tload more miles out of them. I have no problems with grip as stick to the road and no sliding in the wet.

AlanW

Guru
Origamist said:
Agreed. What width though...

I run 23mm and I'm more than happy. If ever I contemplate going any wider I will retire from cycling as its only a few steps towards wearing Plus 4's and having panniers fitted all year round. ;)

simon walsh said:
Continental Ultra Gator Skin great in the wet and even better in the dry.

They are indeed a very good tyre and I also ran these for a good number of years. However, and for whatever reason I bought some 4 Seasons. IMHO they are so much better, in terms of having less rolling resistance that is.

potsy

Rambler
AlanW said:
No contest, Conti 4 Seasons, don't accept anything any less.
I've got these in 23mm too,very good in the wet or dry.Not the cheapest so will be interested in how long they last.
Done 400-500 miles on them with only 1 small nick in the front one.

Origamist

Legendary Member
AlanW said:
I run 23mm and I'm more than happy. If ever I contemplate going any wider I will retire from cycling as its only a few steps towards wearing Plus 4's and having panniers fitted all year round. :smile:

I'm on the slippery slope - 25mm for me, panniers and a cravat (I made the last one up, but I suspect it's only a matter of time).

Top Bottom