Tyres how long should they last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoo

My mtb is shod with continental X kings. The tyres have only done approx 1000 miles about half on road and half off road,and they are showing severe wear they will probably last another 500 miles.
My question is,is this normal?
My old bikes tyres lasted way way longer!(and this was a cheap bike).

tyred

Legendary Member
It's dependent on many different variables.

Generally speaking, soft supple rubber rolls better and grips better but doesn't last so long.

ohnovino

Large Member
The slick-ish tyres on my hybrid are just coming up to the 5,000 mile mark. The rear should probably be replaced, but I've been saying that since Christmas and it's not got any worse! The front still looks pretty new.

I think treaded tyres wear down much more quickly because the top surface of the tread can move. At least, that's what they say in motor racing, and I guess the same principle applies with bikes.

sittingbull

Veteran
My Tioga XC 26 x 1.95 tyres managed 5500 miles nearly all on the roads (and I think they were original fitment on the bike which was 6 years old when I got it) :smile:

The rear was starting to look less like an "XC" and more of an "intermediate" but I only replaced them after a cut in the sidewall of the front. I'm fairly lightweight which I guess must make a difference.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My Marathon Plus are upto about 2500 miles and still look fine. My Kenda Kwicks lost the battle with glass on cyclepaths at only 500 miles and looked like a saloon after a gunfight.

I had some Halfords Bikehut "Kevlar" tyres on an old bike that not only punctured more than my previous cheapo tyres also seemed to wear stupidly fast.

oldroadman

Veteran
Tyres with sticky out bits are going to wear a bit on tarmac, the "cut slick" type of tread will do a lot better. BUT you can have long life or excellent grip. I know which I choose, I like my skin (reasonably) intact!

Maylian

Veteran
My Spesh Armadillo's on my hybrid have done around 3000 miles, the front is still good however I had to replace the rear after it completely split. This may have been due to my riding style as I like to do skids on it once in a while for giggles.

My bontrager on the roadie have done around 1100 miles and can't see any wear on them at all, still handle nicely and relatively few punctures.

My mtb is shod with continental X kings. The tyres have only done approx 1000 miles about half on road and half off road,and they are showing severe wear they will probably last another 500 miles.
My question is,is this normal?
My old bikes tyres lasted way way longer!(and this was a cheap bike).
How long is a piece of string? There are too many variables but for me that'd be a bit short but I don't ride nobblies on road. If the tread is worn however and you aren't experiencing an abnormal number of p'tures and you are happy with their handling, I wouldn't bother and get more life out of them.

Top Bottom